Tree swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hasbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello, I got called to a swarm in a neighbouring village, the bees, possibly a cast swarm, has settled in a cherry tree about 25 feet up, is there a method of collecting them or moving them on that doesn’t involve me up a ladder 25 up!? They have been there now three days .

Throw a rope over a branch above the swarm. Tie on a drawn comb. Pull up to be adjacent to swarm. Bees crawl onto comb. 3 days is a long time to hang out. Probably gone by now

Throw a rope over a branch above the swarm. Tie on a drawn comb. Pull up to be adjacent to swarm. Bees crawl onto comb. 3 days is a long time to hang out. Probably gone by now
They are still there, unfortunately they are on the top branch of the tree,I had said to the owner they would probably move on but they haven’t as yet.

They are still there, unfortunately they are on the top branch of the tree,I had said to the owner they would probably move on but they haven’t as yet.
A good bait hive with some lemongrass oil is your best bet. Don't risk your life.

Thanks for all those suggestions, will try the bait hive first… if they are still there.

If the tree is near vehicle access you could use a car and a towrope fastened as high on the tree as you can to give it a shake and hopefully dislodge them to a lower accessible position.

If the tree is near vehicle access you could use a car and a towrope fastened as high on the tree as you can to give it a shake and hopefully dislodge them to a lower accessible position.
They do tend to go back up to where they were - unfortunately :(

They do tend to go back up to where they were - unfortunately :(
You are right I was able to dislodge them by shaking the branch with a long implement and then within minutes they were back again, three times. A few have shown interest in the bait hive but only a few. They are still on the tree, no comb on the branch when shaken off.

You are right I was able to dislodge them by shaking the branch with a long implement and then within minutes they were back again, three times. A few have shown interest in the bait hive but only a few. They are still on the tree, no comb on the branch when shaken off.
Maybe you didn't dislodge the queen.

I got one from the same height once (7.5m) because the landowner had an extremely long wooden pole with a hook on it that he had ready for firefighting...to pull down flaming branches from gum trees in a bushfire. I didn't understood quite how that would work, but a frame of brood (I only use smaller frames) tied along the end of the pole and leant up near the swarm soon attracted a cluster of bees on it. Lowered down carefully and put in a box below, had the whole lot leave their swarm spot and move down into the box. Perhaps you could try similar using the long implement you have?

Latest posts

Back