Took the leap and bought an extractor...yippee!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
After hunting for a while, my FinL offered to go halves on an extractor so I finally chose one...

I went for a 4 frame radial - which should do me for a number of years...now what else do I need to fit in the shed and I wonder how many will now tell me I bought the wrong one? bee-smillie

Last edited:
I'm just pleased that you are pleased Queen59, and overjoyed that your OH thought it appropriate enough to help out in the financials department.

You'll be needing a bigger shed next. LoL

Congratulations! If you are happy with your new extractor, then it is the right one for you whatever others may say or think. You, after all, are the one who will use it. And a four frame radial seems to this inexpert eye to be perfectly suited to someone with a single colony - or probably even two!

Let us just hope that the season (and the bees) produce enough honey for you to be able to complain about how slow it is!

I wish you the joy of wishing you had bought a bigger one, (meaning a bumper crop!) but I suspect it will on average for most years be just right. :)

PH

I bought a 4 frame radial last year, but have not had the chance to use it yet :(
fingers crossed for this season!!!

I am so jealous; though my OH gave me an iou for an extractor for Xmas (I wouldn't let him buy one as I wasn't sure what to choose nor whether the first lot of bees would survive the winter). I have no idea whether he knows the cost but perhaps he feels guilty about the amount he spends on his model railway project! I am not sure exactly what to buy. My grandson was so wise - he just said well if the bees die, you'll get more so you'll still need an extractor. So I am working up to a purchase. I am wondering about a giordan (from another thread on here) and one that is driven by a drill. (I am in the early stages of a chronic but not acute leukemia so I suspect I may need the extra help top drive it eventually). I am also wondering whether going to Stoneleigh will be a chance to get a bargain?
Am I right in thinking that most extractors have sufficient space to store a reasonable amount and that I won't need an extra tank? I am not quite sure how vital other accessories are (buckets, strainers). I would like to aim for between 4 and 6 hives. My local BKA has an extractor for hire but I guess we would all want it at the same time. I imagine another solution would be to have a small, local syndicate to share equipment like this. Space is not too much of a problem. We have 2 kitchens so I hope to designate one for honey extraction when required though I may store the extractor elsewhere when it is not in use.
Any observations from those wiser are welcome so I have noted this thread to date and will watch for any more.
Tricia

nelletap,

I am wondering about a giordan

Not yet seen one, but appears to be excellent value for a power driven radial extractor.

I won't need an extra tank

Oh yes, you will! 10 litre food-grade plastic buckets come to mind as the standard storage container, or any alternative, but eventually you may need some form of settling tank. It comes down to size of batches you want to do. A honey valve can be fitted to any decent size of plastic bucket.

Stainless steel kitchen sieves are handy for initial straining. 5 colonies (your target aim) could give you a headache (or arm-ache) in a good year.

The only real 'must extract now' is OSR so a shared or hired extractor is a good option for some.

Regards, RAB

Yes - a lot of luck for me. Not only the second kitchen (unless my Dad deteriorates and needs to move in - but he's almost 90 and going very strong) but a south facing garden with a separate section ideal for bees and possibly hard for anyone to steal from. We are one of the few areas not to be shown on streetview and on google earth the holly hedges/trees seem to hide the hives. Lots of forage around and no very close competition. Fields, but more cattle than arrable and the only cultivated field really close the farmer seems to use manure rather than rely on pesticides. However, there was an OSR field within flying distance last year. And the neighbours all round are very supportive.
In turn, when I've got myself organised, I'd be happy to let others locally extract in the second kitchen. It's quite close to a large shower room and I am lazily wondering whether this won't be the perfect solution to cleaning equipment! I note from elsewhere on the forum that cold water is suggested for cleaning extractors.
Tricia

Hi,
Extractor is perfect for the small beekeeper. Make sure that when you are taking the honey off it never reaches the top bar of the frame you are spinning as this causes problems. Drain the honey off through a double sieve. Some people use a fine mesh bag as well but I reckon that takes out too much [pollen, a double sieve is perfectly adequate and leaves you with good tasting honey with plenty of nutrients left in it although it will 'set' quicker. I also find an electric uncapping knife is the best tool for beginners to uncap the frames. They are expensive so maybe next Christmas!!!!
Finally don't get caught out by not having enough jars and lids. I suggest you always buy new jars and never take ones handed to you by other people. They may have been cleaning the paint brushes in them!
Jar the honey at least 24hours after taking it off so that the air bubbles have risen and always use the last few jars with all the air bubbles in first, or for mead, or for cooking!
Let us know how sticky you get for your first extraction!!!

Get yourselves a bucket support... invaluable aid.

Called a "Pouring Aid" by the big company in the UK. P27 of the catalogue.

PH

Last edited:
After hunting for a while, my FinL offered to go halves on an extractor so I finally chose one...

I went for a 4 frame radial - which should do me for a number of years...now what else do I need to fit in the shed and I wonder how many will now tell me I bought the wrong one? bee-smillie

Well done Queens59, I am pleased for you, Radial seems best, from what I can work out from reading the posts so it should be fine, you may need to get some of the local keep fit club to come and turn the handle LOL!
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Tony

Thanks all - Problem is I am now soo excited about extraction it hurts...as it (hopefully) will after I hae used it!!

I got a lot of food grade buckets from the local bakery the other day - selling a £1 a time for a hospice, so if I get a 'pouring aid' I should be set...Ahhhh - Bliss...Until I remember what else I'll probably need!

Get the family involved in extracting. I have only extracted about 9 frames myself with friends/family doing the rest.

I also have a waiting list for this year of those who want to provide free muscle power.

Strangely therapeutic.
:cheers2:

nelletap,

After having seen a giordan, I am impressed.

Comparing with my Lega of ten years, some parts are lighter made (the lids are thinner, as are the tangential screens) and the lids are easily removable, but all seemed of adequate strength and durability(provide one doesn't drop the lids too often). I was pleasantly surprised that a reasonable quality electric drill was supplied (I expected a cheaper component given the price of the extractor).

It appears to be an ideal choice at the price and if I had not already got an extractor, this one would be high on my list, if not at the top!

The main criticism might be that the electric drill does not have a separate speed controller - operation will be fine if on high speed with a well balanced load, but it may be a little more difficult to control if there is some imbalance at intermediate speeds.

I know how my Lega hops about, if out of balance.

Many thanks, for 'digging it out' for me to see, goes to Monsieur Abielle.

Regards, RAB

It would be a lot more stable if the legs are bolted to a sheet of 18mm plywood. The drum can then be tilted to drain, propped on a suitable piece of wood and while extracting on the level, a booted foot can add a bit of weight to stop it shimmying around the room.

Latest posts

Back