Too many bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Inspected one of my hives today and never seen so many bees. Carried out a full inspection of the brood box checking for queen cell,none found,but nearly every frame is full of brood. Have 3 supers on, 2 nearly full. My question is should I carry out an artificial swarm to release the pressure on the hive. I would quite like another colony of these bees as they are so gentle and placid.

Inspected one of my hives today and never seen so many bees. Carried out a full inspection of the brood box checking for queen cell,none found,but nearly every frame is full of brood. Have 3 supers on, 2 nearly full. My question is should I carry out an artificial swarm to release the pressure on the hive. I would quite like another colony of these bees as they are so gentle and placid.

Look up Demaree on here - it's a sticky. Two colonies without losing production ability.

Here you are:

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46464

Last edited:

Give more boxes. That is the basic rule. Do not spoil you good hive.

Put new two supers betweeb the brood. Boxes and supers.

The hive needs more combs where theu dry up nectar. And need need more space.

Give foundatipns, that it hindets swarming. A Third brood box would be fine that you get new brood combs.

Last edited:
Just add another brood box underneath everything. They will use it if they need it.. don't split a strong hive if you don't need to.
E

Or take 2-3 frames of brood to boost other colonies not so strong. Replace brood frames with empty drawn comb or foundation.

Just add another brood box underneath everything. They will use it if they need it.. don't split a strong hive if you don't need to.
E

Ahh .. but there was a clue in the OP ...

" I would quite like another colony of these bees as they are so gentle and placid. "

So Demaree would be a good option as there appears to be no sign of swarmng yet...

Apologies for stupid questions. So if I go with the Demaree method. Can I leave a few extra frames of brood in the original brood box,to keep product going, and then when the top brood box produces QCs thin them out and move the brood box 3ft away to start a new colony. I realise this decreases the original colony and I could take out a frame or two and put in a nuc box,but this would leave me with a brood box that I assume the bees will fill with stores and my extractor won't take brood frames.

Apologies for stupid questions. So if I go with the Demaree method. Can I leave a few extra frames of brood in the original brood box,to keep product going, and then when the top brood box produces QCs thin them out and move the brood box 3ft away to start a new colony. I realise this decreases the original colony and I could take out a frame or two and put in a nuc box,but this would leave me with a brood box that I assume the bees will fill with stores and my extractor won't take brood frames.

yes, might leave the top box a bit low on bees though

You should first add room for honey.

And foundation that it hinders swarming.

You get honey well, and you are going to spoil your crop moment.

If two boxes are almost full bees need more nectar that they cap the boxes.

You should first add room for honey.

And foundation that it hinders swarming.

You get honey well, and you are going to spoil your crop moment.

If two boxes are almost full bees need more nectar that they cap the boxes.

Finnie - you are missing the point .. he does not want more honey - he wants another colony of bees from the one he has - Demaree is the best of both worlds .. adding supers won't achieve another colony and they are not currently swarming.

Many thanks for all the advice. I think I will go with the Demaree solution as it meets my aims.

Latest posts

Back