Too late to re-queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aberreef

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives + 3 nucs
Over the past few weeks one of my hives has turned pretty unpleasant (no neighbours to worry about, just a sod to inspect:rolleyes:) but is very productive. The queen is laying really well and this week they have found a new nectar source.

IF I can find the queen would it be better to pop her off now and unite to one of the nucs I've made up this year or leave her until the spring, baring in mind the late stage in the season?

Cheers
Huw

Strike while the irons hot is my advice, otherwise you're tempted to keep her going until you have a spare queen next spring and the damage could be done in terms of nasty drones from your nasty queen getting in on the act of all matings in the area.

baring in mind the late stage in the season?

There is probably another two months (possibly more) in which to change queens by uniting (clothed, or unclothed! :))

we were thinking about re-queening too and I've read on a book (Guide to Bees & Honey) that it's actually the best period to do it (end of summer) as there are less chances of swarming.

Thanks for the replies:) Looks like she's on borrowed time then. One of the nucs i made earlier on is now on 7frames of brood so doing pretty well.. I'll unite to this colony i yhink.

I cant say I'll be too sorry to see her go. Her devil spawn workers have got a really, REALlY bad obsession with my crotch. Been stung on the inner theigh 3 times now. On saturday I jad a further 10-15 rush the area too. Not a good look!

Her devil spawn workers have got a really, REALlY bad obsession with my crotch. Been stung on the inner theigh 3 times now. On saturday I jad a further 10-15 rush the area too. Not a good look!

we had a chap on our beginners course who worked in a pig-rearing unit, came to the college straight from work, took 5 hits to his 'stones' !!
(he showered before coming to any more meetings)

Latest posts

Back