too late for oxalic acid?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petewhite

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I was hoping to get some Oxalic Acid onto my bees before xmas but haven't had an opportunity yet - is it getting too late? What are the necessary conditions to use this stuff. I had planned to do it this afternoon but they were flying.
Also, how does it work? Is it a contact miticide or do the varroa mites get poisoned by ingesting via the bees?
cheers

Its never too late you just not get every mite if you did it in summer I did mine last week
it burns the mouth of the mite

Temp will drop towards the end of next week in Hants.
Daytime temp of 4c after midweek.
Anything uder around 7c should see them staying at home for a treatment.

will they not get freezing if we open up the hive in this freezing weather?

Not if you work fast,you should have the lid back on before they know what has happened.
A hive can be treated in well under a minute.

hells bells! even a newbee like me?

so i just trickle it over the top/down the sides of each frame?

However cold, ideally no wind, rain or fog then a few seconds is all it takes with minimal disturbance and they will hardly notice that you have been.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT4hbGhPJes[/ame]

Your very welcome.
A picture paints a thousand words :cheers2:

Roof off to roof on 26 seconds - simples:hurray:

Did mine today, wished Id got it done earlier when colder instead of worrying and now being 10 deg in sussex. Warmer weather meant that when I lifted the roof for a look they were already spilling out of the crown board feeding hole (I have left mine open over the winter for ventilation). Went back to give them a gentle smoke before getting my gear on and immediately got attacked - lots were coming out on to the landing board. Once back with the suit on they were all back inside and behaved reasonably well. 7 seams and what appeared to be plenty of stores, but given fondant anyway as a precaution. With it turning mild here I am worried they might start venturing out without much food to find till spring. First winter for me so pleased with the number of bees that have made it through and it looks like the prolonged autumn feeding has paid off (fingers crossed!)

Last edited:
Well done Colingill,sounds like you are on top of them :cheers2:

colingill

"the crown board feeding hole (I have left mine open over the winter for ventilation)"

presume you have an OMF????

There were many threads on the forum in the autumn re need for upper INSULATION but not VENTILATION.

Glad the bees are doing ok DESPITE their "loft hatch" being left open over the coldest december since formal records began.

Likewise glad not to be responsible for the heating bills chez colingill if that is representative of approach to reducing heat loss over winter !!!!!

I think it was agreed on here that the holes in crownboards serve only TWO purposes - for feeder access and for escapes and should be closed/covered at all other times during the cold months.

drstitson:

Yes - OMF.

As plenty of other new beekeepers seem to find on here - nothing ever is seemed to be agreed between what appear to be very experienced beekeepers on the threads I have read - however there is always plenty of food for thought.

I decided to go for leaving the crown board escape open rather than raising a blocked up crown board with matchsticks - maybe others might be interested in what seems to be a possitive result rather then just being high minded - unless I have misinterpreted the tone in your post that is - in which case I appologise.

Last edited:
I think it was agreed on here that the holes in crownboards serve only TWO purposes - for feeder access and for escapes and should be closed/covered at all other times during the cold months.

Not by me.

Do you not close yours in Winter then?

Hi Hivemaker,
just out of interest as a newbee do you have omf's and if so why do you not cover the top, I understood that there would be too much of a draft for the little bees with an open floor. I guess if you insulate above then it doesn't make much difference because the air above and below the roof is not moving.
what is your set up
Clare

Mainly solid sloping floors,some mesh floors in each apairy, purely for monitoring effects of treatnments....they also have the slides in.

Latest posts

Back