Tobacco smoke

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I see what you mean about the enlargement of the tunnels at the terminal ends. I zoomed in to my photo and there doesn't seem to be any enlargement to those terminal ends.

I'm sure some must have survived, I just haven't seen it for a very long time. I remember it when I first had bees, over 35 years ago - my mentor pointed it out after having persuaded me to enter a comb of honey in a show!
Here is a photo I took today. It seems it doesn't necessarily need to have the enlargement to be a tunnel. Also, the adult fly does not need to be "obviously" visible on the bees themselves for there to be braula. I can't see them on these bees for instance. Once the photo is clicked on and opened, double clicking on it will zoom it in.

Attachments

• IMG_20210116_135216452_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20210116_135216452_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
Here is a photo I took today. It seems it doesn't necessarily need to have the enlargement to be a tunnel. Also, the adult fly does not need to be "obviously" visible on the bees themselves for there to be braula. I can't see them on these bees for instance. Once the photo is clicked on and opened, double clicking on it will zoom it in.
Thanks for this
I have used Oxalic exclusively for 8/9 years so I must look out for these

Wikipedia: Quinby

Cover, rear and inside my book: Quimby
Bee Culture
Moses Quinby (some ancestors spelled it “Quimby,” but ancestor William Quinby emigrated to America prior to 1664 from Quinberry, England with a patent for land in Westchester County, New York) was born into a Quaker family in variously Chappaqua, New Castle or North Castle, Westchester County, New York on April 15 (or July 16?), 1810. In 1791 New Castle was split off from North Castle. Chappaqua WAS in North Castle, but after the split it was in the adjacent New Castle. It is safe to say he was born in New Castle; probably Chappaqua; certainly not North Castle. His parents were William and Hannah Sands Quinby.
Unquote
People go a bit funny when it comes to putting their name to a book.

Wasn't somebody Quimby credited at the end of the old Tom and Jerry cartoons???

Woah, when you zoom in, that looks like a lot of tunnels!!

I've never seen Braula, except in books, (where they were a bit flat). T'would be interesting to see if they are making a comeback. Any non-treaters seen this? (Though that always puzzles me a bit: why does a miticide necessarily affect a fly...which is what I've always been told is the reason for a lack of these cuties. Is it the dose of a nasty, relative to body size??? - Not dissimilar size to varroa.)

Thank you Antipodes for the pics.

Back