To Glue or not to Glue

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a bit old fashioned, it goes with the territory, age and a flat cap, but use cascamite, which I understand is to a higher spec. than waterproof pva ?
I believe resinite at toolstion may be similar to cascamite. Cascamite can be had on ebay at a good price.
I have used Gorrilla glue for external work and am going to try the P.U. next from http://www.tradefixdirect.com. By the time you have spent time mixing cascamite, not mixing enough or too much P.U. might work out not that much more expensive and less stress full
Tradefix direct also have galvanised lost head nails at a good price.
Not used them myself but will be ordering from them soon.

Titebond III is a wateerproof PVA glue, as is polyurethane glue (Gorilla glue, or the like), but there is absolutely no mileage in glueing end grain to anything, regardless of which glue you use. The same applies to screwing long grain to end grain. It is not the best job. All long grain to long grain joints will benefit from a waterproof glue. The dovetails do most of the rest in cahoots with the nails (as supplied by Thornes) If you want to be posh, use brass screws. They are as good as stainl;ess and cheaper.

ditchgould
so in your view its not worth using glue on the housing/dado joints used to fix the side, and end walls, on brood box's and supers,as both components are end grain,yet by using glue it makes an incredibly strong joint,even without nails or screws.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back