To Early For Splits?????

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Only I know :D :D
Well I done my weekly inspection this evening and all I can say of WOWzers.

I have 2 Nationals + 1 Langstroth.

National Hive No.1 is the tiny late split I made last season which made it through, its currently on Brood + Super. Has 10 brood frames and 2 super frames of brood and 1 brood frame and 2 super frames of stores, the rest of super is fresh wax being drawn out.

National Hive No.2 this was my main hive last season which i requeen with a carniolan queen its currently on 2 brood + 2 supers. This hive is out of control...... Has 15 brood frames of brood and 6 frames of stores 1 empty brood and supers starting to fill judging by the wight when i picked them up.

Langstoth Hive this is a hive/split I started last season trying out a new hive type, I can officially say I'm not a lover of the langstroth don't know why but I just hate it lol. This hive is on 3 brood 14 frames brood 7 frames of stores and drawing the rest out fast.

Now National Hive No.2 has filled 2 brood already, question is do i add another brood or super into the brood chamber for the time being? or can I split the hive in half with 1 brood + 1 super on each half and let the queenless hive rear a new queen with the fresh eggs laid?

I cannot believe how fast my bees are progressing....

Thanks

They are not out of control! They are strong and ready to collect honey. Just keep the supers going on as the previous ones fill up. Remember they always feel heavy when they are only half full!
Watch for queen cells and have the kit ready to deal with it in the way you should have already decided. Well done!
E

So enrico would you add more brood space to the existing 2 brood at the moment? or just keep a eye on them?

They have plenty of super space in the hive so that's not a problem.

I want to change the old wooden hive there in over to a new poly hive soon but i'm still debating between Paynes or a Swienty Poly National setup.

Insy,
Doesn't sound like she needs another brood, she has seven frames to go. Keep an eye on them and add supers for bee space as need be.

Out of them seven frames only 1 is empty rest are mostly honey bound and some pollen, but saying that I suppose if there smart little bees they'll move that honey up to make space for her.

Thanks for your opinion guys much appreciated, I'll take some nucs up there to bait up just in case swarms are about I could get lucky again.

Two brood box's is plenty if you are a QE user.
Don't forget bees emerge as eggs are being laid so it will all settle down to a replacement of eggs into unoccupied cells.
E

Out of them seven frames only 1 is empty rest are mostly honey bound and some pollen, but saying that I suppose if there smart little bees they'll move that honey up to make space for her.

Thanks for your opinion guys much appreciated, I'll take some nucs up there to bait up just in case swarms are about I could get lucky again.

Sorry our posts crossed... Take a couple of food frames out and replace with new frames or drawn comb if you have any. That will give her more room. Use the food frames in the autumn if there is sugar in it. If you did not feed sugar in the winter then spin out for honey.
E

My guess Insy is that you will have a fair amount of sealed brood? Most will emerge in the next week or so. Thus giving your queen plenty of room to lay, the problem then will be housing all these extra bees, hence the extra supers as has been suggested, you must keep well in front of them with space (which you seem to be at present).

Latest posts

Back