Timid bees ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't you think that's a bit harsh?

Well, it wasn't intended to be harsh, merely realistic. Bees will sting, and if you work around bees for long enough then it's only a matter of time before one will sting you - if only 'by accident'.

Indeed, I think there there's a case for new beeks to get themselves deliberately stung (at least twice, with a week between stings) under conditions where medical help can be readily obtained, in order that they can learn whether they are at risk from working with bees.

Fortunately I'm not, but if I were, then I'd take up fishing - or some other pursuit - instead. I really wouldn't want to dress-up like a medieval knight each time I wanted to approach a beehive !

Here's another bloke who feels the same way (I think it's in 4 or 5 in which he discusses 'armour'):

That's not to say I don't have protection gear handy - I do - but I only wear it beforehand when dealing with unknown colonies or those I already know are over-defensive.

Ah yes - my reason for posting - the colony in question was seen today bringing in early pollen, so it looks as if all is well with them and that their extreme gentleness is a natural feature for that particular colony.

No prizes for guessing that I'll be breeding from those bees during the coming year. :)

LJ

Well, it wasn't intended to be harsh, merely realistic. Bees will sting, and if you work around bees for long enough then it's only a matter of time before one will sting you - if only 'by accident'.

Indeed, I think there there's a case for new beeks to get themselves deliberately stung (at least twice, with a week between stings) under conditions where medical help can be readily obtained, in order that they can learn whether they are at risk from working with bees.

Fortunately I'm not, but if I were, then I'd take up fishing - or some other pursuit - instead. I really wouldn't want to dress-up like a medieval knight each time I wanted to approach a beehive !

Here's another bloke who feels the same way (I think it's in 4 or 5 in which he discusses 'armour'):

That's not to say I don't have protection gear handy - I do - but I only wear it beforehand when dealing with unknown colonies or those I already know are over-defensive.

Ah yes - my reason for posting - the colony in question was seen today bringing in early pollen, so it looks as if all is well with them and that their extreme gentleness is a natural feature for that particular colony.

No prizes for guessing that I'll be breeding from those bees during the coming year. :)

LJ
Hi LJ,
Good news about the colony. However, in my short life as a beek I have found that the colonies have good and bad days just like you and me, so take care.

Latest posts

Back