Time for a Super?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raceyboy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Inspected My hive yesterday, full of bee's, a really strong colony. I've noticed that they are bringing in alot of pollen, they are thick with it. I'm contemplating putting a super on over the weekend, any thoughts? ;)

Read some of PolyHive's posts - I'm no expert but I've heard him say numerous times in the past week that it doesn't matter how many bees you have, you should go on the number of frames of brood. You should have 8 frames of brood (both sides) before adding a super - also the weather is set to turn colder next week and you won't want them to have all that empty space.

Is that about right PH? :rolleyes:

Nick

Thanks for the info Nick .... I think this weather has drawn us all in to thinking summers here, I have about 7 frames of brood, so i think i'll give it a week or two. I got this colony last year, and i've not harvested any honey from them, which means theres alot of honey in the BB

Steve

It was 20 degrees in the shade here today but early this morning when I went out there was a light frost, with some condensation around the entrance - so I'm going to wait for a while. Mine are on brood + half though as that's how they overwintered, the half was completely full of stores coming out of winter but is now down to 2 frames as of yesterday (I only took a small amount of honey last year - 3 or 4 frames - so it was their foraged honey, not syrup)

They seem to be moving some of it down nearer the brood now but I think a lot of it has been consumed - they are bringing in tons of pollen but I don't think there is a lot of nectar about yet. Having said that, the dandelions are making an appearance around here now. :)

Nick

Latest posts

Back