Time for a new washing soda solution container

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I think it's time for a new container to carry washing soda solution to apiaries this coming season and it seems we've run out of empty plastic paint tubs. What else works well?

James

Can't see the wood for the trees sometimes :D

I've just realised why. I'd got a bit fixated on the idea of a rectangular container. I saved a load of paint tubs years back when we were doing some decorating specifically because they were rectangular and my tools would lie flat in them.

James

Rat poison containers are a good fit - empty ones of course

Two containers - one for washing soda which was a food waste container ex-council and the other for rinsing full of water - it had cold tar mix given to me by the water board when they replaced our mains stopcock. I leave a stainless scrubber in the washing soda to clean off the hive tools. One other tip is to line both containers with an appropriate sized plastic bag - it saves the contents spilling on the way to the apiary in the car when it sloshes about. I change the soda solution three or four times per year as it gets a bit mucky.

Me too, but I find that they leak by the end of a journey. This is odd, as it suggests the lid is not airtight, and that is worrying as I use the same type of bucket for honey.
I find you do have to make sure you click the top on. If not they leak as can be seen by the streaks of dried soda on the floor of my van!

I think it's time for a new container to carry washing soda solution to apiaries this coming season and it seems we've run out of empty plastic paint tubs. What else works well?

James
The food waste container the council supply for indoors, just the right size. I leave mine in the apiary, so it doesn’t need to be water tight for travel. I use a milk container to carry the new mix to it.

I just leave a bucket and hive tool at each apiary, so the only time I need to carry any washing soda mix is when I change the water
I have 15 apiaries to visit and some are in rather posh gardens. I think some may object to a bucket tucked behind their lovely copper roofed WBC

make sure you click the top on. If not they leak as can be seen by the streaks of dried soda on the floor of my van!
Yes, clicked shut tight. Still leak. Maybe there are a few grains of soda on the rim. Will contact the manufacture and sniff out the truth.

I have 15 apiaries to visit and some are in rather posh gardens. I think some may object to a bucket tucked behind their lovely copper roofed WBC
You could always put another WBC in the apiaries, just the lifts, fixed together, roof and floor, no boxes or frames and store your equipment inside.

You could always put another WBC in the apiaries, just the lifts, fixed together, roof and floor, no boxes or frames and store your equipment inside.
£615 seems a bit excessive for a bucket store. 😂

Latest posts

Back