Thymovar Treatment in a Nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPMoody

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 (and a nuc!)
I have a recently build nuc (approx 2 weeks, build with 2 cells of brood, one with a QC, and a full frame of stores). I've discovered a few drones crawling away from the nuc with wing deformation, so am keen to treat for varroa. I have some Thymovar strips which I want to use with the nuc (in an appropriate dose), but wanted to check that there's no adverse effect to using Thymovar on such an immature nuc. Should I instead be using icing sugar once Q is established (if she manages to mate in this lovely weather!)

My main hive will obviously need treating, but whilst there is (or at least was!) plenty of stores in the supers, I suspect icing sugar is my only friend at the moment.

The enthusiasts will say otherwise but sugar dusting is now considered a waste of sugar.

PH

The enthusiasts will say otherwise but sugar dusting is now considered a waste of sugar. PH

:iagree: Almost totally wasted. Thymol based treatments best suited to end of season when supers are off. At any other time remove supers first anyway. Oxalic if there is no brood at any time of the year, particularly after swarm collection or after a swarm technique.

Oxalic if there is no brood at any time of the year, particularly after swarm collection or after a swarm technique.

If I was concerned about mite levels I would opt to wait until there was a nice sized patch of sealed brood and then remove the frame as any varroa is most likely to be in the sealed brood cells. Treating with Oxalic acid would be one of the last options on my list on a swarm or unknown queen who could be a virgin.

Sugar dusting as said above and imho is a waste of time and sugar as it only effects a small proportion of the total number of varroa in the hive.

Icing sugar is only good for a colony without capped brood, and requires all the bees to be removed and all (apart grom the queen) rolled in the sugar, allowed to stand for a short time and then run back into the hive. Dusting, in my view is not good enough.

Removal of first capped brood will complete the job - as it should for any varroa treatment on a colony without capped brood (nothing special in this, but few think about it).

Of course, location and weather can play a large part in deciding whether this manipulation is a sensible option.

Sugar dusting......
long time ago I was employed briefly by a confectionery firm in Croydon

OA anhydride was used as an anti caulking agent in fine refined white sugar used to coat non~pariels ( poppy seeds with seed cover removed?)... gob stoppers.. Amplex breath tablets and the like...

Wonder if a Beekeeper stole some and used it to good effect on the Varroa?

Latest posts

Back