Thymolated Syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thymol in syrup renders male mites sterile, does the same to drones!

Any chance of a reference or link to some further reading on this Norton?

In the Lecithin mix, is it still OK to use surgical spirit instead of the alcohol?

Surgical spirit, B.P. is a liquid prepared and used primarily for topical application. It is prepared from a special denatured alcohol solution and contains approximately 70 percent by volume of pure, concentrated ethanol (ethyl alcohol) or isopropyl alcohol (propan-2-ol).

By the time the alcohol is added(as part of your thymol prep) to the syrup it's diluted sufficiently that I'm sure you could use meths!
Don't though :)

By the time the alcohol is added(as part of your thymol prep) to the syrup it's diluted sufficiently that I'm sure you could use meths!

Is not meths "methylated" ethanol.. the meths from methylene blue to make it unpalatable?

Methyl alcohol is wood alcohol... the stuff that can make you go blind?

Yeghes da

Solution had coagulated

Made a fresh batch of Thymol solution this week using the "Sticky" recipe. Went to use it this morning and I noticed the solution had coagulated. It was 8 degrees inside my bee shed and probably a few below that in the very early hours.

Anyone encountered this before?

I'm thinking perhaps to be on the safe side I need to make another batch. The lecithin was a bit sticky as I've had it for 3 years but everything else was done as per the recipe.

"Thymol in syrup renders male mites sterile, does the same to drones!"

Any chance of a reference or link to some further reading on this Norton?

Someone want to quote this in case he has me on ignore

In the Lecithin mix, is it still OK to use surgical spirit instead of the alcohol?

Surgical spirit, B.P. is a liquid prepared and used primarily for topical application. It is prepared from a special denatured alcohol solution and contains approximately 70 percent by volume of pure, concentrated ethanol (ethyl alcohol) or isopropyl alcohol (propan-2-ol).

Isopropyl is less toxic - hence the recommendation to use it!

OK, so is it OK to use surgical spirit, then??? ta

Made a fresh batch of Thymol solution this week using the "Sticky" recipe. Went to use it this morning and I noticed the solution had coagulated. It was 8 degrees inside my bee shed and probably a few below that in the very early hours.

Anyone encountered this before?

I'm thinking perhaps to be on the safe side I need to make another batch. The lecithin was a bit sticky as I've had it for 3 years but everything else was done as per the recipe.

Just place the jar in a pan of warm water as mentioned earlier and it should be fine. Also the thymol crystals can reform and the pan of warm water soon sorts it out.

Just mixed some of the pre mix as it looks like I may have to do a bit of feeding this year :( after a couple of years lay off and see no harm in giving the bees a bit of a tonic.

Thymol has been used in winter syrup at least as long as I have nursed bees, over 50 years.

IT has been used to hinder fermentation and for all possible and for impossible things. Just for sure.

Back