Thymol Thyme again.... Hivemakers recipe!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
For newcomers to this forum who have yet to suffer the endless discussion on matchsticks and open mesh floors... just thought I would revive my favourite stickied post ( I can never find it!)

Emulsified thymol pre mix.

30g thymol crystals placed in honey jar,add 5ml of isopropyl alcohol to the crystals,place jar into a water bath of boiling water to speed up the dissolving process.
In another jar pour in 140 ml of boiling water and add 1 teaspoon of lecithin granules, stir well,and place this jar into a water bath of boiling water,stirring often for abot ten minutes or so until most of the lecithin granules have dissolved,you can then strain this mixture through a teastrainer or similar to remove any granules that have not dissolved fully,then simply add the dissolved thymol to this mix,and shake well,will look just like a jar of milk.
To use add 5ml to each gallon of syrup and stir well,syrup will go milky,unlike when using the old original mix.
If the mixture forms any crystals at a later date,tip into old small pan and reheat,do this outdoors.

bee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie

Great stuff, always use it. Am I right in thinking it combats nosema as well as being usable on florists' foam (green type) for varroa?

So is this a treatment or a preventer,
Would you mix this with all their winter feed or only a gallon.
if it is a treatment will supers have to be removed.
what else does it cure besides nosema
Are all ingredients available on the high street
What PPE and safety precautions must I use when mixing it

I think these are some questions a new beekeeper might want to ask

How long can the thymol mix be kept?

Will keep for some time!... if it crystallises simply reheat in waterbath

Note... do not keep in fridge... may taint you French Bree cheese! ( I find it makes a tasty and nutritious snack):icon_204-2:

Seems to have an effect on nosema, also prevents fungus growth in syrup 2:1 winter thick mix ( this year will use 60%.....)

So is this a treatment or a preventer,
Would you mix this with all their winter feed or only a gallon.
if it is a treatment will supers have to be removed.
what else does it cure besides nosema
Are all ingredients available on the high street
What PPE and safety precautions must I use when mixing it

I think these are some questions a new beekeeper might want to ask

Mainly a preventer, though it can be used as treatment in a slightly different way. It prevents the spores from germinating as they pass through the gut, so stopping a low level of infection (quite normal) from becoming an epidemic.

Added to all winter feed. One of the reasons for feeding syrup not fondant, and a counter-argument to those who say they re best eating their own honey- unless you are going to extract, thymolise and feed it back.

Yes remove supers, you don't want them putting it in there, it will turn your honey into cough mixture (unless like me you like cough mixture).

It prevents syrup or stores from fermenting, thus preventing dysentry. It may help to reduce varroa infestation, when incorporated into the larvae's food.

pure Isopropyl alcohol is hard to find, surgical spirit is a good substitute, but try to make sure ALL crystals have dissolved, or they will act as seed and it will re-crystallise. Thymol crystals from beekeeping suppliers, lecithin granules from health shops.

Beware of the alcohol fumes catching fire, or the alcohol reaching flash-point. This is why you heat it in hot water, not direct heat. Ensure good ventilation. Try not to get concentrated thymol on your skin, and if you do, don't rub your eyes. Think of it like fresh chillies.

Any good, redwood? :)

"may taint your French Bree cheese!"

again i think you are being misled - Brie comes off of France; Bree more likely sourced at the edge of the Shire in Middle Earth (or an industrial unit in Hounslow more likely).

"Are all ingredients available on the high street"

thymol online - bee suppliers or ebay.
lecithin - health food stores or ebay again.

PPE - appropriate.

"as well as being usable on florists' foam (green type) for varroa?"

No - as above that is simply thymol in oil. and much cheaper and easier to use folded kitchen towel - 1 per dose.

Mainly a preventer, though it can be used as treatment in a slightly different way. It prevents the spores from germinating as they pass through the gut, so stopping a low level of infection (quite normal) from becoming an epidemic.

Added to all winter feed. One of the reasons for feeding syrup not fondant, and a counter-argument to those who say they re best eating their own honey- unless you are going to extract, thymolise and feed it back.

Yes remove supers, you don't want them putting it in there, it will turn your honey into cough mixture (unless like me you like cough mixture).

It prevents syrup or stores from fermenting, thus preventing dysentry. It may help to reduce varroa infestation, when incorporated into the larvae's food.

pure Isopropyl alcohol is hard to find, surgical spirit is a good substitute, but try to make sure ALL crystals have dissolved, or they will act as seed and it will re-crystallise. Thymol crystals from beekeeping suppliers, lecithin granules from health shops.

Beware of the alcohol fumes catching fire, or the alcohol reaching flash-point. This is why you heat it in hot water, not direct heat. Ensure good ventilation. Try not to get concentrated thymol on your skin, and if you do, don't rub your eyes. Think of it like fresh chillies.

Any good, redwood? :)

Spot on :winner1st:

Latest posts

Back