Now that is interesting!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I did as Beebot suggested...I made up the thymol in just the alcohol and water...of course as expected...it didn't mix at all. It was pointless mixing with the syrup as the oil floated on top. Even after vigorous shaking...the oil immediately floated on top of the water. However, when I then mixed in some honey...it changed the dynamics of the mixture.....at room temperature.....it mixed into the syrup and didn't float on top.
So there you have it. Lecithin or honey...take your pick.
The honey does do something...whether it truly emulsifies it or whether it is able to hold the oil in suspension...I don't know...but it definitely does do something.

Okay .... now that is interesting.

I not sure what is going on here. Certainly not what we would consider as a emulsifier.

Thought it should mainly dissolve in the alcohol but can't remember as it ages since I made it up. Going to have a look at Hedgerowpetes video to see if this sorts it out in my mind.

Anyway I have mean mulling this over in my mind over the boring parts of lessons. One thing that did occur to me from thymol's structure is that it has an OH group which could form hydrogen bonds with the alcohol, water and sugars. There may be something about the bonding to the monsaccharides in honey that does not occur (or does not occur to the same extent) with a disaccharides or vice vera. This could hence keep it mixed.

If it works it work but I would like to know why?

Added
Does thymol dissolve better or worse in Invert syrup as this contains the monosaccarides?

Last edited:
Okay .... now that is interesting.

I not sure what is going on here. Certainly not what we would consider as a emulsifier.

Thought it should mainly dissolve in the alcohol but can't remember as it ages since I made it up. Going to have a look at Hedgerowpetes video to see if this sorts it out in my mind.

Anyway I have mean mulling this over in my mind over the boring parts of lessons. One thing that did occur to me from thymol's structure is that it has an OH group which could form hydrogen bonds with the alcohol, water and sugars. There may be something about the bonding to the monsaccharides in honey that does not occur (or does not occur to the same extent) with a disaccharides or vice vera. This could hence keep it mixed.

If it works it work but I would like to know why?

Added
Does thymol dissolve better or worse in Invert syrup as this contains the monosaccarides?

I thought it was interesting and worth examining. I don't know how it works...I thought it was because in cooking ....honey is considered an emulsifier.....but I am willing to accept the chemists idea. However, I think we must remember that honey is such a mixture of substances...in a way...almost a 'living' mixture.
....it's fun...isn't it?

Latest posts

Back