Thorne's news & matchsticks

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And there's me thinking LSD was something to do with Cornish Danish Pastries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apis mellifera has never been on Himalaya.
Finman : Read what is written . I said "Bees" not A mellifera. As you well know Apis exists in several species that share a common ancestor. Apis cerana and mellifera both nest within cavities and share many other things in common and so can be assumed to be very closely related. An ancestral species will have developed in time and isolation into several strains and subspecies . Under the right conditions clustering behaviour within a cavity will have been selected in one or more of these strains and further developed by selection in isolation into a separate reproductively distinct species Apis mellifera and with time and populations becoming geographically isolated they become adapted to local conditions leading to the range of subspecies that we know today. It is thought by many entomologists that clustering behaviour in an honeybee ancestor living within a cavity first appeared in the Himalayas as an adaptation to the cooler conditions found there.
I don't need to remind you that you are not the only one with a biology degree on this forum.

Last edited:
Finman : Read what is written . I said "Bees" not A mellifera. As you well know Apis exists in several species that share a common ancestor. Apis cerana and mellifera both nest within cavities and share many other things in common and so can be assumed to be very closely related. An ancestral species will have developed in time and isolation into several strains and subspecies . Under the right conditions clustering behaviour within a cavity will have been selected in one or more of these strains and further developed by selection in isolation into a separate reproductively distinct species Apis mellifera and with time and populations becoming geographically isolated they become adapted to local conditions leading to the range of subspecies that we know today. It is thought by many entomologists that clustering behaviour in an honeybee ancestor living within a cavity first appeared in the Himalayas as an adaptation to the cooler conditions found there.
I don't need to remind you that you are not the only one with a biology degree on this forum.

Now you mix things very badly.

Hymenoptera is largest insect group in the world. And "bee" named species are huge number. What you mean by "bees", I do not know.

Most Apis cerana colonies do not live in cavities in Japan.v! And cerana does not drop cluster temperature during winter. Cerana and mellifera are only Apis, which make several combs side by side. Others make only one comb.

Mellifera has evolved in Africa or in Near East. Who knows what was vegetation in those times.

I have not met any evidencies that clustering started on Himalaya. After 2003 genemapping changed everything.

For example a common wasp has insulated hive and it keeps brood teperature high. Same does bumbble bee. Bumbble wants insulated hive.

Last edited:
If I remember rightly a farthing would be too thin to replace a matchstick. Surely you need a 3d bit? 12 sided version.

Well, my association has forwarded me the Thorne email as they know that I have bonneted my hives. I seem to be doing just about everything opposite to what my society seems to do. I hope they don't get to do an I told you so in the spring.

How very jolly nice of them Brigsy
Don't worry you'll be fine. Their bees probably will survive too but there's a difference twixt surviving and thriving. Bonnet on :)

With the exception of the matchsticks and adding quilts, I agree with a lot of what he/she says. There is a tendency to "pamper" the bees to such an extent that they can't express their natural winter behaviour.
As Mike Palmer has said "winter is our friend". It selects those colonies for survival that are fit and healthy.

So they don't express their natural winter behaviour in tree hollows ?

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of Thorne's matchsticks. I've got some spare wood and would like to have a go at making my own.

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of Thorne's matchsticks. I've got some spare wood and would like to have a go at making my own.

Brother Adam used two strips of 1/8" wood placed front and back between the crownboard and brood chamber

Adam, B. (1975). Beekeeping At Buckfast Abbey Autumn & Winter. In Beekeeping At Buckfast Abbey (4th Editio, pp. 55–58). Northern Bee Books.

How very jolly nice of them Brigsy
Don't worry you'll be fine. Their bees probably will survive too but there's a difference twixt surviving and thriving. Bonnet on :)

So far so good!

Brother Adam used two strips of 1/8" wood placed front and back between the crownboard and brood chamber

Adam, B. (1975). Beekeeping At Buckfast Abbey Autumn & Winter. In Beekeeping At Buckfast Abbey (4th Editio, pp. 55–58). Northern Bee Books.

obviously that man doesn't now how to look after bees :rolleyes:

Whatever you do dont add matchsticks or top ventilation to a poly hive. Matchsticks have much greater negative effect in low conductance hives.

Back