Thornes easy steam connector

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzby

Ponderer and Potterer
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
15 -20
I've bought an Easy steam from Thornes without the "steam generator" as I have a couple of steamers. However the thread size is different. My steamers use 1/4 inch BSP any one any idea what the Thornes connector is? It is bigger than 1/4 BSP. Thornes weren't their usual helpful selves.

I've bought an Easy steam from Thornes without the "steam generator" as I have a couple of steamers. However the thread size is different. My steamers use 1/4 inch BSP any one any idea what the Thornes connector is? It is bigger than 1/4 BSP. Thornes weren't their usual helpful selves.
I took my hose to screw fix, the lady behind the counter sold me the fitting. Think it was about £3. Sorry couldn’t tell you the exact size.

I've had this Thorne's Easi-steam for a few years, just going through a few tens of brood frames (obviously not huge amount of wax yielded) abd put lots of brace comb I've gathered throughout tge year in too.... is it just me or is the bloody thing frustratingly inefficient!? I'm sure it used to be handy - I remember it as such, but think in future I'm just gonna cut all the comb out and boil it in the bottom of a pan in some tights or similar weighed down. Have I forgotten summat elemental or was it always such a faffy thing? Cheers

I've had this Thorne's Easi-steam for a few years, just going through a few tens of brood frames (obviously not huge amount of wax yielded) abd put lots of brace comb I've gathered throughout tge year in too.... is it just me or is the bloody thing frustratingly inefficient!? I'm sure it used to be handy - I remember it as such, but think in future I'm just gonna cut all the comb out and boil it in the bottom of a pan in some tights or similar weighed down. Have I forgotten summat elemental or was it always such a faffy thing? Cheers

I gave up on the easi-steam a few years ago. I got one of these second hand, but something similar could be knocked up from a metal drum. To increase efficiency I have insulated the drum with hot water tank jacketing. Quicker and far more steam comes out of the outlet now as opposed to condensate.

https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/wax-melting/70-liter-stainless-steel-steam-wax-melter/

I drew this up and had a local fabricator make it about 10 years ago. It cost about £300 i think, and uses a standard wallpaper steamer as its source. There are a few things I might change, when I get around to it...
1720261535057.png

I gave up on the easi-steam a few years ago. I got one of these second hand, but something similar could be knocked up from a metal drum. To increase efficiency I have insulated the drum with hot water tank jacketing. Quicker and far more steam comes out of the outlet now as opposed to condensate.

https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/wax-melting/70-liter-stainless-steel-steam-wax-melter/
I've a real weakness for Abelo products. I'm no tinkerer - how dyu rate it minus insulating jacket? For the energy and time, looking like crock pot in oven inside pillowcase job atm.

I've a real weakness for Abelo products. I'm no tinkerer - how dyu rate it minus insulating jacket? For the energy and time, looking like crock pot in oven inside pillowcase job atm.
it works fine as it is, I just thought it would be better with some insulation. With this its finished melting wax in about half the time compared to without. All I've done is to wrap a couple of the panels below around the tank and keep them in place with some bungies.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/four-pan...VJZNQBh37fgLBEAQYAiABEgIngfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Are you remembering to leave a gap directly below where the steam pipe goes in? It doesn't work so well if you don't do that.

Back