Thornes Are Robber Bee's

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Friar Tuck

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A, All there prices are ex-Vat deception in my eyes.
B, i only wanted a feeder and eke postage £9.50

I work in distribution and i can post a box of any size upto 30kg via parcel force tracked signed for for Much cheaper than that.

;o:)beatdeadhorse5::cuss::banghead:

Try living in the Highlands, they also bang on another £10 for the privelage. but no choice to pay. robbers they are.

I'm only a newbee so what do I know, except that when I'm in a last-minute-flap-panic, at least I know they'll be delivering within 48 hours - worth the price imho

Shame they don't have what i want in Ebay as the cost of postage is fair, and one can leave feedback and a * rating for postage dispatch time, packaging etc. It just is wrong they advertise a price ex vat. cheeky :beatdeadhorse5:

I wanted to call them something else but thought better of it > bastards

Only if it's in stock. Dadant Brood chamber 4 weeks+. A lot of other stuff at least a week if you are lucky.

In my experience they don't deliver in 48hrs, I order some stuff over a week ago and not received it yet, also ordered some extraction equipment from another supplier at the begining of may and they took two and a half weeks to deliver, so I think they are all the same.
P.S. the other supplier also charged £10 delivery on small orders, best bet is to find a local agent or supplier and collect your items when passing.

Other suppliers are available....

I was grumpy with another supplier too....

Last edited:
A, All there prices are ex-Vat deception in my eyes.
B, i only wanted a feeder and eke postage £9.50

Whats the problem about vat? you know it is not on, just add 17.5%

Yes for small things their postage does not add up, but spend over £100 (and it is very easy to do that) and it is free!

Club togther or wait to do a bulk order when they have a sale.

I have never had an issue with them. Well only time was when they missed out some wax, but I just phoned up and they trusted me on my word and sent out the missing lot next day.

i think they need to find some one else as the postage is well to high for most things and sometimes it takes weeks for them to send it, for a big company its not that good but there stuff is beter than most.

I've always had good service off them but one thing I've noticed is that they take the money when you order (I must check the distance selling regulations).

i think they need to find some one else as the postage is well to high for most things and sometimes it takes weeks for them to send it, for a big company its not that good but there stuff is beter than most.

I find for labels and other bits they are very good, they deliver within a day or two, the thing people should always ask before ordering is 'do you have stock available' if not how soon can it be with me. No point saving a few £ with one person who can't get it to you on time.

Also certainly no point moaning about late deliveries if you didn't ask if it was in stock.

My example NBS had an Api Melter that could be delivered the next day that cost me £200 more than if i was to get direct from Swienty which would have taken 2 -3 weeks. Plus i like Bill and his company, they sell very good kit.

C B

All beekeeping suppliers have to cope with something like a 500% increase in business so delivery with any of them is going to be difficult. "Rushing around like headless chikens" was a description I heard.

It always pays to shop around to get best prices.

Personally I have never had a problem with Thornes and they have always delivered as well as some and far better than others. When an item has been damaged (very rare) they are more than helpfull and willing to replace or refund.
I also think like many sites they try to keep their shipping costs simplified and it doesnt always work.

dont get me wrong i allways go to thornes i just think the post is a bit on the high side if your only ordering a few small items

Whats the problem about vat? you know it is not on, just add 17.5%

I only knew that now after the price jumped up by 17.5% and then they added £9.50 to post a couple of feeders :ack2: In the retail world unless you a wholesale distributor (which i am ) you should display your prices Inc VAT. It just pissed me off a little, I will find a local or friendly supplier :hurray:

The purpose of the EC (Requirements to Indicate Product Prices) Regulations 2002 is to enable consumer to see the price of the product before buying and to make price comparisons. The price of products on sale in shops and supermarkets may be attached to the items themselves. Alternatively they may be displayed on a label on the edge of the shelf. Generally, shelf labels are used to display prices in supermarkets since barcodes have becomes more popular. Under the EC (Requirements to Indicate Product Prices) Regulations 2002, retailers must show the correct selling price in euro or GBP including taxes. Unit prices for products sold by weight volume or measure must also be clearly displayed.

I only knew that now after the price jumped up by 17.5% and then they added £9.50 to post a couple of feeders :ack2: In the retail world unless you a wholesale distributor (which i am ) you should display your prices Inc VAT. It just pissed me off a little, I will find a local or friendly supplier :hurray:

The purpose of the EC (Requirements to Indicate Product Prices) Regulations 2002 is to enable consumer to see the price of the product before buying and to make price comparisons. The price of products on sale in shops and supermarkets may be attached to the items themselves. Alternatively they may be displayed on a label on the edge of the shelf. Generally, shelf labels are used to display prices in supermarkets since barcodes have becomes more popular. Under the EC (Requirements to Indicate Product Prices) Regulations 2002, retailers must show the correct selling price in euro or GBP including taxes. Unit prices for products sold by weight volume or measure must also be clearly displayed.
The prices including P&P and VAT are clearly displayed when ordering online PRIOR to payment and the catalogue is also compliant.

They have a very enviable business model which enables them to cover the costs of 'mistakes' or 'errors on a no quibble basis. I ordered some labels last month which were not satisfactory, and to be honest, I was prepared pay part of the costs for replacements as it was a bit 50/50. However, no quibble, no cost replacement arrived. They will continue to have my business (although the are not my sole supplier) and I will just have to be a bit more careful when ordering.

HOWEVER
Distance Selling.
During the last winter sale, I suspect that they MAY have been in breach of distance selling regulations for the following reasons.

1/ It was stated that no funds would be deducted until goods were ready for despatch - Funds were taken on order.
2/ If no delivery date is given, then a statutory 30 day period applies see following:

3.16 A contract must be carried out within the time limits agreed with the
consumer as stated in your terms and conditions. If no period has
been agreed, the statutory time limit is 30 days from the day after
the day the consumer sends the order to you.
What if I am unable to deliver the goods or start a service in
the time agreed or within the 30 days statutory limit?
3.17 If you cannot meet the 30 day deadline to deliver the goods or
perform the service, you must inform the consumer before the expiry
of the deadline. You and the consumer may agree a revised date
for delivery of the goods or performance of the service. But the
consumer does not have to agree to a revised date. If they do not
agree to a revised date, the contract must be treated as if it had not
been made, apart from any rights that the consumer has under it as
the result of the non-performance.
End Quote
Source=http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft698.pdf

Ha i wish i had never started the thread i just wanted to express my displeasure in a company charging so much for postage when i know the real cost. In my opinion the selling company makes money from the sale of goods, Profit margin normally over 30% the the buyer covers the cost of postage. should have been around £4. I was also a bit peeved that the display price was ex vat. but now i know i will either add this in or invariably go somewhere with cheaper postage cost.

10 4 over and out :sifone:

Latest posts

Back