Thornes Are Robber Bee's

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to do all my shopping on the net and i will have several companies open all at once on my browser and then get everything in my basket and then compare prices and delivery costs. Who ever comes out the cheapest and quickest gets my credit card details. Simples :)

Th*rnes are great they always send me a large box of free smoker fuel every time I order.

:sifone:

Shopping for the cheapest is not always the cheapest way to go. :)

I will happily pay a bit more for my foundation in the knowledge I am giving the bees a better product for instance.

I care less about hive tools though.

There are definitely times when it pays to pay a bit more and find things cheaper in the long run and a lot of beekeeping is long term usage.

Just something to consider before entering the CC info.

PH

I know for a fact that they are working their tails off right now, having been in email conversation with them over the weekend (including Sunday...). I have no big problem with the postage, I know it is quite high, and I make sure that when I order, I order a big load. The main thing for me is the quality - which is spot on.

People say they're expensive, and yes you could build the wooden parts for a lot less, as long as your time is worth very little. I'm also very lucky to have the Windsor shop just up the road.

Being a part of a club can be handy as clubs will (apparently) sell things at cost price.

I am not in a club, but know a few beeks in the area. If I go to a shop, I let people know and they can tag items on, then carriage is free.

I go to maisemore quite a lot. If you like, the next time I go, I will give you a couple of days notice and if you need anything, I will pick it up...

(I live on the other side of the motorway, but work in melksham... I also have work people who live in Devizes)

Also, if I buy things online, I also let other people know who have common interests and the shipping can be shared.

It is well worth talking to local Beeks in the area to save on shipping....

...simples! :bigear:

Just a gentle reminder that we are nearly at the peak of the season and all the appliance dealers are working flat out trying to keep up. An increase in the number of beekeepers has lead to a corresponding increase in "urgently required kit". This is why it's best to have your beekeeping kit organised by the end of April to try and avoid the usual seasonal last minute rush...

I'd also like to add that all the beekeeping suppliers I've dealt with have done their best when there have been problems and I've not found anyone I've purchased items from difficult to deal with at all.

Don't forget they are people too, many of whom pride themselves on giving good honest service; especially at this busy time of year.

and i dont help that there moving, i dont think that anyone can knock thornes even there seconds are good, i think it would be more clear if they add the vat on but it is no problem. i do think that they should get a new delevery service.

Last edited:
Th*rnes are great they always send me a large box of free smoker fuel every time I order.

So right, just made up a dozen faggots from my last order! With thinking like that Mike you might just pass the honorary Yorkshireman entrance exam.

That semi shredded stuff they use burns really evenly, that said Thornes need to sharpen their act, I had to reject some cardboard because of printing and adhering sellotape, simply not on.

I go to maisemore quite a lot. If you like, the next time I go, I will give you a couple of days notice and if you need anything, I will pick it up...

(I live on the other side of the motorway, but work in melksham... I also have work people who live in Devizes)
...simples! :bigear:

Thanks mate that is very christian of you :cheers2:

Look Peeps I never want to start a Rant, just saying how i felt :sifone:

So right, just made up a dozen faggots from my last order! With thinking like that Mike you might just pass the honorary Yorkshireman entrance exam.

That semi shredded stuff they use burns really evenly, that said Thornes need to sharpen their act, I had to reject some cardboard because of printing and adhering sellotape, simply not on.

I did wonder about that semi-shredded stuff ... thanks guys! :biggrinjester:

A, All there prices are ex-Vat deception in my eyes.
B, i only wanted a feeder and eke postage £9.50

I work in distribution and i can post a box of any size upto 30kg via parcel force tracked signed for for Much cheaper than that.

;o:)beatdeadhorse5::cuss::banghead:

I agree the postage charges are not right!!!

My wife recently posted a large mamas and papas pram from Northern Ireland to Northern Scotland by parcel force and they charged £15 and they collected from the door. Quality service.

I would much rather see the true price I am paying on sites. I tend to wait till I have a number of items to buy with thornes to take the cost to over £100 to qualify for the free postage. With the prices they charge now you are not long in reaching that price though ha ha. :beatdeadhorse5:

:iagree:

I've yet to try cutting the box itself into strips and rolling it up to burn but seems daft to pay 38p for a roll of cardboard when they will send it in a cardboard box with shredded cardboard in it.

seems daft to pay 38p for a roll of cardboard when they will send it in a cardboard box with shredded cardboard in it.

until you spend ten minutes trying to light card that's been treated with fire retardent!

At least Thorne's don't send out miller feeders painted with non drying paint, or stale brittle foundation or frame side bars machined like that below.

If you want decent quality kit and proactive customer service for when things do go wrong then Thorne's are good if a bit pricey. If you want to get royally screwed and pissed about by another supplier who by default denies all knowledge of there being a problem then there is at least one out there that ticks all the boxes. Funny how their name keeps popping up again and again and again.

At least Thorne's don't send out miller feeders painted with non drying paint, or stale brittle foundation or frame side bars machined like that below.

If you want decent quality kit and proactive customer service for when things do go wrong then Thorne's are good if a bit pricey. If you want to get royally screwed and pissed about by another supplier who by default denies all knowledge of there being a problem then there is at least one out there that ticks all the boxes. Funny how their name keeps popping up again and again and again.

Whats wrong with the Australian Frames?:rofl:

Latest posts

Back