This just annoys me

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Why make a nine frame extractor? I then have two frames left over with nine holes you can't get them opposite each other so they are unbalanced..... Yes I know there are ways round it but it just niggles me😁😁

Why make a nine frame extractor? I then have two frames left over with nine holes you can't get them opposite each other so they are unbalanced..... Yes I know there are ways round it but it just niggles me😁😁
It’s as aggravating as foundation in packs of 10.
My extractor takes nine frames too, so I know exactly how you feel.

Might be something as simple a science. Harmonics produced with even numbers of frames might cause the extractor to shake apart. Odd numbers of frames might disrupt harmonics thereby stabilizing the extractor. Conjecture but based on product design experience of distributive forces around radial elements.

I guess that the 3 legs is based on the milking stool principle in that you can put it anywhere and all three legs are on the ground. If you go to a rustic pub a four legged table often has one leg supported by beer mats to make it stable and after a few bottles of wine it is the diner who needs propping up and stabilising!!

I have a 9 frame and it often shakes at the start of the extraction, I got over this by putting a strap around the extractor and around the heavy range cooker reasonably tight with a thick piece of foam between cooker and extractor to prevent damage (to the extractor of course!). It certainly helps until a bit of honey is spun out and things settle down. Other alternative is to bolt it to the kitchen floor but SWMBO did not give planning approval.

Might be something as simple a science. Harmonics produced with even numbers of frames might cause the extractor to shake apart. Odd numbers of frames might disrupt harmonics thereby stabilizing the extractor.
doubtful, I've used a 12 frame and 20 frame extractor with no issues

Might be something as simple a science. Harmonics produced with even numbers of frames might cause the extractor to shake apart. Odd numbers of frames might disrupt harmonics thereby stabilizing the extractor. Conjecture but based on product design experience of distributive forces around radial elements.
Multiples of three make sense for vibration and reliability.

I have a 9 frame and it often shakes at the start of the extraction, I got over this by putting a strap around the extractor and around the heavy range cooker reasonably tight with a thick piece of foam between cooker and extractor to prevent damage (to the extractor of course!). It certainly helps until a bit of honey is spun out and things settle down. Other alternative is to bolt it to the kitchen floor but SWMBO did not give planning approval.
😁

Might be the difference in frame weights not evenly distributed?

My elderly Lega takes 15 frames ...and my Paynes Poly nucs I run with 9 frame castellations - no matter how I organise things I always end up with a few odd frames that are left unspun. I don't view it as a problem - I'm not that anal that I can only have a full set of unspun frames in the extractor.

What I do is leave the last set of spun frames in the cage and replace a few of them with the odd unspun ones - spreading them evenly round the drum. It doesn't seem to cause the imbalance you sometimes get when you just have a few odd frames in an otherwise empty cage. (Bit more weight perhaps ?)

Nothing to do with science or harmonics; they only occur at much higher frequencies and not relevant anyway.
More to do with engineering and cost as 3 spokes are the minimum to support the cage centrally, and then each segment is divided into 3 frame supports for maximum width frames, and 4 frames per segment would often be too tight.

Nine frames works perfectly for me. I have Langstroth hives where the supers take ten frames. Once they start to fill I remove one then evenly space the remaining nine to enable each frame to be built allowing more honey per frame when extracting.

ditto
What I do is leave the last set of spun frames in the cage and replace a few of them with the odd unspun ones - spreading them evenly round the drum
ditto - and spin slowly to start, then build up gradually. Much as I do with a full load, in fact!

Back