third year running

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJBee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
I was beginning to think it was third time unlucky but while inspecting my hives this lot overflew and moved into my bait hive.not worthy By the time I had finished they were all in (less than 15 minutes) looked like a big prime swarm.

A silver spoon but only just;)

Everything is "old" - a 25 year old National brood box, 1 frame with old black brood comb, 10 old frames without foundation.

The last few days have been really hot (+30C in the shade) so the bait hive has been putting out an attractive aroma;) I put a few drops of lemon grass oil in my other two bait hives but forgot about this one.

I have a box up and have similar contents. I have wiped a few drops of citronella oil on the wood inside. But as yet no takes.

I have a box up and have similar contents. I have wiped a few drops of citronella oil on the wood inside. But as yet no takes.

Citronella is an insect repellant. Try lemon grass oil instead.

bait hives are like fishing lures, sometimes you get a catch and a lot of the time you get nothing

Oh has a customer who keeps getting swarms into holiday cottage etc and it is a real issue for them as it is next to thier home as well. put a bait hive up there last year to try and stop the problem and they swarmed into other side of house from year before. This year they decided to go down the chimney - but no one knew they were there until they lit a fire!:eek: Wish the girls would just read the manual there is a lovely hive for them with manky wax and frames and oil but they just fly straight past it. Am no wondering if it is too out in the open, but chimney is only 7mtrs away and other house is similar distancen love swarm though you caught

Latest posts

Back