Thermostat for warming cabinet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theeggman

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 Cedar + 5 Poly
Just for info folks.
I've just bought a couple of these for frost proofing around our borehole. they cost 2 to 3 times more than the usual one suggested but you don't need to find and modify a box to house it and no wiring for the electrically challenged.

Inkbird ITC-308 Digital Temperature Controller Thermostat Regulator UK Socket, Dual Relays 1 Heating & 1 Cooling 220V Plug
available fron the great river co.

Rated as 2.2KW... experience with Chinese relays is that they tend to arc and burn out on high loads... OK if you keep load to under 5A, anything greater use a secondary relay that is man enough for the load!

But at £30 approx, quite a useful bit of kit!

Chons da

Basically an improved STC 1000 already wired. A far better choice for those that would be likely to house an STC 1000 in a sandwich box (an entirely unsafe method), and should be just as reliable, if not iproved.

A safe enclosure for an STC is probably more than a fiver (likely a tenner), three plugs/sockets and wiring extras are needed, as welll as a little common sense and competence.

Last edited:
Basically an improved STC 1000 already wired. A far better choice for those that would be likely to house an STC 1000 in a sandwich box (an entirely unsafe method), and should be just as reliable, if not iproved.

A safe enclosure for an STC is probably more than a fiver (likely a tenner), three plugs/sockets and wiring extras are needed, as welll as a little common sense and competence.

I only need two plugs for my STC 1000.. one for the heaters and one for the thermostat switch..

Or this one - which is the next generation STC 1000, and a wee bit cheaper

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077NJJ...m/images/I/61jn+I58OOL.jpg&sb-ci-a=B077NJJGXL

Only 2 plugs/sockets needed unless you are adding a cooling circuit as well. Bit OTT, all you need is your main heating circuit breaker and power to the STC.
Puzzled about the need for an enclosure? Both my STC's are slotted comfortably into a rebate in the walls of my 2 home made warming cabinets. Not sure which version yours are but mine come with a wire shield that you fit after wiring to prevent accidental exposure to anything live.
Quite simple really. Why some people make it so complicated is beyond me.

Or this one - which is the next generation STC 1000, and a wee bit cheaper
??
STC 1000's can still be bought for around £8 on that well known auction site...Just don't expect it to arrive by tomorrow at that price...it has to travel all the way from the manufacturers.

??
STC 1000's can still be bought for around £8 on that well known auction site...Just don't expect it to arrive by tomorrow at that price...it has to travel all the way from the manufacturers.

Cheaper than the inkbird was what I meant.

the one I featured is by the same manufacturer as the STC - but the next step up - the ATC 1550 - pre-wired so you only need to plug your heater into the socket on the side and position the thermostat probe (and obviously plug in the unit) there are ones on fleabay but as far as I can see they are all fitted with EU sockets.

The STC1000 is fine if you are confident to wire it all yourself but you have to realise there are some people around (especially on this forum) who can't be trusted with a sharpened crayon, let alone an electrician's screwdriver :D

Cheaper than the inkbird was what I meant.

the one I featured is by the same manufacturer as the STC - but the next step up - the ATC 1550 - pre-wired so you only need to plug your heater into the socket on the side and position the thermostat probe (and obviously plug in the unit)
Yes, definitely cheaper than an Inkbird and much easier to use than an STC 1000.
Although I must say there is a certain amount of satisfaction in wiring one up. And if Darwins law prevents a few incompetents from future breeding why are some so anxious to stop them?... ;)

Latest posts

Back