The. Welsh Beekeeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDWOOD

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Has anyone read this quarters edition, there is a large article disbelieving the use of thymolated syrup. It made me laugh especially coming from a technical officer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I think it refers to varroa control
There is no mention of nosema which is what most of us use it as prophy for
A serious omission in my opnion

Why would anyone want to use it for varroa control ?

Here are snaps.
I think they are trying to say that thymol in the feed doesn't control varroa (really?) and that if you are putting thymol in the hive it should be a licensed product. Sound familiar?

Attachments

• IMG_2886.jpg
    IMG_2886.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2887.JPG
    IMG_2887.JPG
    307.5 KB · Views: 33
I was expecting this thread to be about the cover.
- Which I thought might relate to the quiz inside, but I didn't notice any comment about it.

The whole idea of putting thymol in syrup was to stop nosema during the winter, how it ever got known to be a varroa treatment beats me

I was expecting this thread to be about the cover.
- Which I thought might relate to the quiz inside, but I didn't notice any comment about it.

What did you think about it?
I got some right, some wrong and some I didn't have a clue and couldn't guess either

Has anyone read this quarters edition, there is a large article disbelieving the use of thymolated syrup. It made me laugh especially coming from a technical officer

Surprised at Wally on the whole thing actually - I've discussed the thymol/nosema thing with him before and I'm sure I'd emailed him some of the studies - I'll try and collar him in the convention.
Even more surprised as the lack of meaningful discussion on baker's fondant, he lumped the whole thing in with supermarket fondant icing and I can't believe he struggled to get any information on the actual content of baker's fondant - it's on every box and listed on suppliers' websites.
What did you think about it?
I got some right, some wrong and some I didn't have a clue and couldn't guess either

Definitely a 'fun' quiz, managed most of them

Last edited:
I think the ingredient is sugar. I'm Not too sure now [emoji12]

The whole idea of putting thymol in syrup was to stop nosema during the winter, how it ever got known to be a varroa treatment beats me

Not for me I only use it to stop the syrup fermenting, anything else is just by accident as "I don't treat my bees".

Maybe they're worried if they mentioned Nosema that a year from now we'd all be being told to buy the newly licensed thymolated syrup blend at x 100 the price?

Latest posts

Back