The Monk and the honey bee.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Pete have watched the first and glad to see there are two more and hope they are as interesting as the first. Cheers.

19.00 in the first video, "it (acarine) had spread the length and breadth of Britain, literally exterminating the native black bee."

Cobblers !
Despite the fact he was an undoubtedly great beekeeper, its my belief that he abused his position by spreading this sort of nonsense in his unequivocal manner.
After hearing that, I'm struggling to enjoy the video, much as I struggle to read his work with any pleasure. Its a shame really as there is much to learn from this thoughtful man, if you can ignore his silly style of talking in absolutes.

First three parts of one of the DVDs.

Thank you for posting these. Fantastic viewing. What an amazing man he was. (leaving aside what the Buckfast has done to the one time variety of local races)

Re. Mbc'[s comment : He speaks in absolutes because this is tendency of the teutonic races :) AND he is a Beedictine monk. Ora et Labora, how much more absolute can you get. I like the motto.

Last edited:
Thank you hivemaker just looked at all 3 let us know when the 4th part is up loaded cheers

Brilliant videos, I visited Buckfast Abbey twice and read his books, an inspiration for any beekeeper despite his clever marketing
Who's that guy Peter something in the video?

Who's that guy Peter something in the video?

Peter Donovan, he was Brother Adams right hand man, and worked with him for a great many years, when he was first taken on by the Abbey as a boy, to assist Brother Adam, he was paid a pound a week, he died just recently.

Last edited:
Peter Donovan, he was Brother Adams right hand man, and worked with him for a great many years, when he was first taken on by the Abbey as a boy, to assist Brother Adam, he was paid a pound a week, he died just recently.

Shame he passed away, I bet he could tell a story or two

Pete, did BA and Peter use a yard sheet to keep track of colony records? If so, is there a copy somewhere?

Yes they had record sheets, most of BA paperwork has been put in the vault at the Abbey, so i was informed by Clare, never noticed any in the shed, Peter also had some of this paperwork, i don't know what has happened to this since his death. I have BA's automatic bottling machine, and some letters though, made in 1923, meant to show you that. But that's not much help with what your asking Mike.

Last edited:
Fascinating videos.

The step from Mendel to Brother Adams interests me. Who worked out the fact that bees cross bred from a wide area which lead to the realisation that isolated breeding stations were needed?

Thank for putting these up.

Thanks for posting these vids. Really interesting viewing :)

I just watched the last two and would like to know if BA have any success with the African black queens to improve the Buckfast strain

Back