The law of unintended consequences

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdoc

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Oops! Not sure whether my design is wrong or this should be hung from a tree, but did not expect to catch this in my wasp trap!
Apologies if this distresses anyone.

Is that mouse blind?
Leave the trap out and you might catch 2 more.
Just watch out for the farmers wife!

Wee, sleekit, cowrin, tim'rous beastie,
O, what a panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty
Wi bickering brattle!
I wad be laith to rin an' chase thee,
Wi' murdering wasp trap.

With apologies to some Scots poet whose name escapes me :)

I'll be more impressed when you catch a wasp in a mousetrap!
:D

Excellent all, that's really made us laugh. I've now sited the trap in a tree on a thin string. If they get in now, I'm giving up.
I did once set a mouse trap that caught a large rat. The scary bit was finding the trap was not where I had left it. He was one very hacked off rat when I found him!
:eek:

what was the recipe maybe you could market it as a mouse bait.

must have been a nicer way for the mouse to go than the traditional baits that make them bleed to death on the inside.

As a complete newbee I joined the annual wasp hysteria and deployed,along with numerous bottle traps, a glue trap.
The first morning it caught about fifty wasps......hoooooooray!!!!!
The second morning it caught a blue tit :(
The following year I made sure my colonies were strong enough to repel any wasp attack or else had their entrances shut down to a bee space. NO TRAPS
I don't know whether a drowned blind mouse is sadder than a blue tit spreadeagled on a glue board.

Last edited:
If it helps, I think the mouse was not blind, its the result of a few hours in my brew. Which is..........compost jelly!!!!!! Work that one out guys and gals
:):)

As a complete newbee I joined the annual wasp hysteria and deployed,along with numerous bottle traps, a glue trap.
The first morning it caught about fifty wasps......hoooooooray!!!!!
The second morning it caught a blue tit :(
The following year I made sure my colonies were strong enough to repel any wasp attack or else had their entrances shut down to a bee space. NO TRAPS
I don't know whether a drowned blind mouse is sadder than a blue tit spreadeagled on a glue board.

Many years ago, before bees and chickens, I had a great veg patch - it was my pride and joy. However I had a mouse infestation and the buggers dug up and ate all my pea plants so I deployed a mouse trap.

Imagine my horror when I discovered a dead robin in the trap - it was the Robin that was at my feet everytime I did any weeding or digging :(

I used bog standard r*bena bottles, top chopped and inverted, at my out apiary first Autumn of beekeeping. It caught 3 mice between 2 visits oops, and several wasps.

I'll be more impressed when you catch a wasp in a mousetrap!
:D

I caught a slug in a mouse trap once - guess he wasn't quite quick enough for a smash and grab raid on the cheese!

Latest posts

Back