The Caviar of Lexicography

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Or for the great unwashed - top drawer words :)

Careful to put this in the off topic ghetto, and as there’s bugger all happening at the moment a conversation came to mind – An erudite friend commented that I always have certain books within a hand’s reach of my desk (and not always on the bookshelf) for quick reference when I am cogitating (now that’s a good word which brings me to the point) – bible both English and Welsh – dictionaries – same, FN Howes plants and bees, Manley and Hooper ; he called them my enchiridia (plural of enchridions) – from the Greek, meaning a book carried in the hand for reference. ’ What a lovely word’ I thought, and what others come to mind?
Words such as Farrago and Miasma, Mumpsimus hails at me (aptly - A view stubbornly held even when shown to be wrong) And while I sit in my hotel partaking in some Omphaloskepsis (before you call the police, it means navel-gazing) attractive words with uglier meanings but great origins Ultracrepidate - To criticize beyond sphere of one’s knowledge. This very interesting-sounding and useful word for a common practice has a very interesting etymology. In a Roman story, a cobbler criticised the sandals in a painting by the painter Apelles, and then complained about further parts of the work, to which Apelles is said to have replied, "Ne sutor ultra crepidam", or, roughly, "The cobbler must not go beyond the sandal". As true today as it was then.
One word shoulders itself to the front of my mind at the moment, as it has done most days recently slightly more mundane, but rolls around the mouth like my favourite 21 year old Springbank malt –
POMPOSITY
- beats magniloquent and bombast any day
All these words tintanabulate across the aural passages
So, all you out there what are your favourite words?

My favorite words:

You've pulled take me home.....

WELL .... and there was me thinking that the forum had got a little boring of late ... and then along comes a gem ..

I like erudite .... and symbiotic has a flavour to it as well.

I've always enjoyed the written word and my Roget's thesaurus (another lovely word) has moved from desk to desk over a long and interesting career (despite the onslaught of computer aided spell checks and on line thesauruses (No it's not thesaurii).

But, sadly, the nuance and nicety of the English language is often lost in the truncated (oh ... there's another one) polyphony of text speak, lacking punctuation, grammar and construction. Following a spoken word that inevitably starts with Ummmm and is frequently interspersed with yer know or innit or worse .... one of my less eleoquent operatives, when asked what was the matter with the machine that had broken down, replied "The F...ing F...ers F....ed.

Says it all really ... we've lost a lot of our glorious language and are murdering what's left.

one of my less eleoquent operatives, when asked what was the matter with the machine that had broken down, replied "The F...ing F...ers F....ed.

I've heard that from one of my first chief engineers the late lamented JFD (John F*ing Dickinson) after finally demonstrating to an unbelieving commander that one of the propeller shafts had sheared - actually a few more expletives namely 'now do you believe me the F*ing F*ers F*ing F*ed - you 2@!

one of my less eloquent operatives, when asked what was the matter with the machine that had broken down, replied "The F...ing F...ers F....ed.
The version I recall is that:

The f***ing f***ers have f***ing f***ed the f***ing f***er up again.

The most versatile word in the dictionary, serves as noun, verb, adjective, adverb and probably others beside.

We have a word for mud "SLUTCH" just about descriptive as can be said slowly it almost sounds like removing ones foot from a particularly boggy bit :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have a word for mud "SLUTCH" just about descriptive as can be said slowly it almost sounds like removing ones foot from a particularly boggy bit :)
VM

I like it ... it's got a great sloourb to it ... very onomatopoeic .... There's another one ....

VM

Ah, but how is it pronounced?
"Slootch" à la North, or "slaatch" à la South? :D

Ah, but how is it pronounced?
"Slootch" à la North, or "slaatch" à la South? :D

Neither I'm afraid , you are making the common error of supposing the 'U' up North is pronounced 'oo'
'oo' in Lancashire is pronounced as in 'sloop' 'U' certainly isn't pronounced 'aa' , alas vowel pronunciation doesn't have letters in the alphabet to impart the sound thereof! :)
VM

Closely followed by chlamydia, gonorrhea and syphilis ?

I only know clean women with dirty habits........:coolgleamA:

VM

In Wales we have LLacs (the usual Ll and the c pronounced ck) - same thing - slutchy mud

Without trying to be self publicising by bumping this post.
Sanctimonious and hypocrite has jumped to mind for some reason

Who has been calling you a sanctimonious hypocrite?!?!

That's not very nice :nono::nono:

They meant sanctified hyperbole Shirley?!

Back