techno

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
end of thread
petes brain has left the building, this has got so techno evan my son cant explain it to me in small words, so to all the techno people who have tried banging your heads against mine i have had a cunning plan, which involves no techno, petes going to set up a computer at his shed and video record every thing to a disk, so we have given up on every thing , but keep an eye out for the moat !!!!!

End of thread +1
You just can't rely on sales staff Pete. Once a few years ago when shopping for rechargeable batteries, I was momentarily impressed when she asked if I wanted NiCd cells, the ones that have memory, or NiMh? I think she thought NiCd memory effect was something beneficial.

Sorry Pete, this was for your helpers amusement if you aren't up on ancient battery technology. Long before we had any Lithe Lions roaming the plains of Handsworth. :)

sorry nellie dearest but you have started to speak techno again and my head has just exploded, i have spoken to the firm and the answer was that as long as your in a city there should be no problems connecting the camera to the internet, and i dont have to buy any thing else for it to work, no mention of 3g or wiffy

I know the conversation has the left the building but "As long as you're in a city" is, frankly, horseshit if you're relying on Wi-Fi (wireless internet). Someone, somewhere still has to provide the Internet connection and most wireless internet connection ranges can be measured in tens of meters, not hundreds. If your Hives were outside the local starbucks, or a pub that does "free wireless internet" then you might be ok.

Dont forget, the sales spod is probably on commission and, with all due respect, understands the technology as well as you do, s/he's read the pamphlet too and possibly read the BBC webpage promising internet for everyone so it must be available right?

Believe me, I've considered putting a camera in/outside my hive. I've worked in Telecomms for 15 years. The guy I work with at my apiary designs mobile networks and we still can't figure out a way of cheaply doing what you and I want to do because our allotment is surrounded by playing fields so we can't even "hack" an unsecured network.

It's not impossible to do, just difficult to do on the cheap at the moment.

And much as I like being referred to as dearest, I have dangly bits in all the wrong places;)

dearest nellie ( said in deep macho voices whilst wearing a realy macho outfit)

the way i am going to go with it is to buy the camera that shown earlier on the thread, and just set it up, the other option i am now considering with out the aid of techno help, is to buy an old computer and power it from a car battery and converter this with the ordinary camera attached will give me a recording security system, i could never under stand why when people can surf the net as they walk down the road on there mobile phones we cant do it with a camera and a phone. cost wise, how much would a phone call to the camera cost for say 1 minute every night and apart from the big one when every thing gets nicked thats max 7 minuites per week

Dear me. Sorry Pete, but Old computer and Car Battery. Old computer is likely to be a bit of a power hog, but you will essentially be running it headless (with the screen turned off) to save power. Car batteries are fickle things, designed to give intermittent cranking current and not a lot else really, almost a hollow vessel with a soft centre. A Leisure battery, such as might be used on a boat on the other hand is designed to permit deep discharge and recharge cyclesin a way that a car battery isn't. More expensive I'm afraid. I suppose you might get away with a float charged car battery, but I think that the power budget might still be a bit of a problem. :)

Good luck all the same.

Back