Swarms and laying

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
Got a swarm hived they have started to draw out the foundation. I have put a bucket of syrup on to help them draw out the comb. How long will it take them to draw out the comb (it was a large swarm) and how long will the queen take to get going. Will she start laying in cells as soon as they become available?

It can vary and depends on the size of the swarm and age of the queen.

I housed a swarm last week and in 3 days they had drawn 10 full frames of foundation, without any feeding. If the queen is an older queen and already mated she can be laying in 36 hours.

If she is a new queen and not yet mated, it could be 3 weeks before you see an egg.

When I put the feed on I didnt bother looking as I wanted to leave them settle think I will look in a week to see how they are doing. Didnt realise they would draw out the foundation that quick. :cheers2:

Got a swarm hived they have started to draw out the foundation. I have put a bucket of syrup on to help them draw out the comb. How long will it take them to draw out the comb (it was a large swarm) and how long will the queen take to get going. Will she start laying in cells as soon as they become available?

I housed this swarm last wed eveing, now 4 days later they are getting close to having some comb deep enough for the queen to lay in, although I have still not seen her. But they are really only looking at 4-5 frames at present - notice the syrup feeder at the end.

Jez

When I put the feed on I didnt bother looking as I wanted to leave them settle think I will look in a week to see how they are doing. Didnt realise they would draw out the foundation that quick. :cheers2:

I guess that it depends on how much honey they filled themselves on before they left, and how long after leaving and clustering you managed to hive them. If they have plenty of honey inside them and there are enough bees, they will quickly draw comb. A primary swarm has more bees and as such they work more quickly.

I only ever feed a swarm for the first week and only if they need a little help drawing foundation. After a week they should be strong enough to get on with things.

Smaller swarms or casts may take a little longer, but even so 3 weeks should see plenty happening.

I have to ask why plastic ends.... why not use the real kit, Hoffman frames?

PH

The swarm I picked up filled half an a4 paper box am I right in thinking it is a prime swarm?

is the box half empty, or half full??.........................

Certainly sounds like a prime swarm. The queen make take some finding but you never know she may be marked. Do you know where they came from?

I have to ask why plastic ends.... why not use the real kit, Hoffman frames?

PH

:) if I was starting from scratch today I would, in reality I have new DN1/SN! frames that need using and that is that, next time I order they will be Hoffman. Having said that I dont like how close Hoffman frames are, you end up moving them appart anyway.

Jez

That is quite a small swarm, about 1 kg.
It is better to take extra frames off or join another similar swarm there.

Prime swarms are 2-4 kg.

Last edited:
That is quite a small swarm, about 1 kg.
It is better to take extra frames off or join another similar swarm there.

Prime swarms are 2-4 kg.

I cant wait to catch a prime :cheers2:

Jez

Latest posts

Back