Swarms Already

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beesand

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
13 Hives, 7 Nucs
A friend of mine evidently had three swarms of bees fly over her stables on Sunday afternoon. From the description it sounds like an initial swarm followed by a couple of casts as she said the 2nd and 3rd lot were much smaller than the first 1.

That made me chuckle enrico. Time will tell, it may be an early warning of things to come!

Followed closely by a flock of pigs!

In my friends defense Enrico she isn't a person that generally creates stories so she must've seen something and there certainly were bees in the direction she said they came from last year. Who knows, I didn't see them with my own eyes, they haven't left or arrived at my apiary so I guess the mystery will continue lol . . . . . . :judge:

Is it possibly that they were a wild bunch whose home has broken? Even that doesn't quite explain 3 lots though, does it?

A friend of mine evidently had three swarms of bees fly over her stables on Sunday afternoon. From the description it sounds like an initial swarm followed by a couple of casts as she said the 2nd and 3rd lot were much smaller than the first 1.

Cast swarms generally leave the hive several days after a primary swarm. I think it would be most unusual if it was a swarm and with this mild weather we may see some later in March.

... I think it would be most unusual if it was a swarm and with this mild weather we may see some later in March.
Couple of years ago in 2011 I had a dozen swarm cells before the end of March. This year, the ornamental prunus are flowering now and that's a couple of weeks before they were in 2011. Unusual, yes. But maybe not impossible.

Latest posts

Back