Swarming....what method?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gentlemen..... Please
All the info is here
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/
Though folk might like to take notice of Cushman's last sentence.
My comment was made in shorthand. I think it is disruptive to the bees. The colony has enough to put up with weekly inspections without artificially swarming them this way.
Cushman says that it mimics a natural swarm in that there is a more natural proportion of bees with the queen.
It seems to me that the bees in the more traditional ASs seem to manage a new nest quite adequately.
By all means try it if it remains the only way but perhaps beginners should be honing their queen finding skills first.

Ok thanks, sounds like your board standing on the ground, if you moved it away 100mm and used it for AS would be very similar to the Taranov scheme.

I do not need boards with AS. I use only flying swarm, and not any shook swarms.

I put a food frame, one brood frame with queen into the box, and then the rest foundations. Perhasp I shake couple of frames directly into the box, that bees keep the brood frame warm.

The rest of bees fly itself to old place during 3 days.

#####!

About those Taranov things. We use to say that they are " last winter snow issues".
They do not help you.

There is one trick. If weather is cold, I shake the bees into a big cartong box, and tre bees climb from box into the hive. Many of our beekeepers do so.

Last edited:
Ok. Which one is best for production. Pagden?

In my 5 years as a beek I have only used the Pagden AS method. Alway happens at the wrong time i.e. just before the flow so I have 2 weaker colonies as opposed to 1 strong. As a result, I have never had a good crop.

Good job that I keep bees for the enjoyment of it and not for the honey.

No it's not - Demarree and Pagden totally different.

Pagden did not have frames on his days. But he cuts swarming like Demaree.

Because Pagden used skeps, he could not pick a laying Queen from hive.

And pagden did not have Foundations in skeps.

Not for the first time, nor, I expect, the last.

You may call those what ever. Main thing is that is works.
Concentrate your brains to understand what you are doing.

.and forget the beekeeping history. Useless ego game.

I'm making a fist and thinking of using it on the next person that recommends using that half arsed swarm control method called a Pagden
I'd have better odds of success to let them swarm and hope to catch 50% of them from the trees

I'm making a fist and thinking of using it on the next person that recommends using that half arsed swarm control method called a Pagden
I'd have better odds of success to let them swarm and hope to catch 50% of them from the trees

Clip the queens' wing, that they cannot rise to the trees.
Then do the pagden on foundations, and it will succeed.

Do padgen in time before they cap the queen cells.
Keep furnitures resdy. Then it is easy job.

i am just now in the forest. Clock is something 22:30. I made ready padgen in one hive. Sun has went down a while ago.

If the wing of queen has not been clipped, the colony would be high in some tree now. But I found the slim laying queen. It peeped guite much there.

We have had heavy rains 4 days and it has kept the swarm inside.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back