Swarming - let them be bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When considering all the histeria and all preparations for swarming and swarming act by itself - I would assume that is very stresfull. With split I take queen on a frame in a new box with all needed and drive away for two weeks and return as "new colony" to the apiary - she continue its routine as I think.

When considering all the histeria and all preparations for swarming and swarming act by itself - I would assume that is very stresfull. With split I take queen on a frame in a new box with all needed and drive away for two weeks and return as "new colony" to the apiary - she continue its routine as I think.

That's a wonderfully simple way of doing it Goran ....,love it ! :icon_204-2:

Puts us all to shame ...

I would imagine the swarming bit is very exciting for them, fully invigorating, and pleased to leave, with the bees that have somehow been selected to go, by the bees themselves, the whole happy event decided by the bees themselves...queen all slimmed down and ready to fly, full of deep joy, plus the short rest she gets from laying, drones all full of joy that there will soon be virgins emerging etc.
But splitting them and taking them away, shut in a box, and your taking away loved ones, that you have decided to take, they have no say in it, lots of little bees missing their sisters/half sisters, and the queen stressed out because lots of her babies and daughters have been just torn away...the section left without a queen in tears about it...and so on.

We will never know for sure.

Last edited:
I would imagine the swarming bit is very exciting for them, fully invigorating, and pleased to leave, with the bees that have somehow been selected to go, by the bees themselves, the whole happy event decided by the bees themselves...queen all slimmed down and ready to fly, full of deep joy, plus the short rest she gets from laying, drones all full of joy that there will soon be virgins emerging etc.
But splitting them and taking them away, shut in a box, and your taking away loved ones, that you have decided to take, they have no say in it, lots of little bees missing their sisters/half sisters, and the queen stressed out because lots of her babies and daughters have been just torn away...the section left without a queen in tears about it...and so on.

You big softie Pete ... showing your true colours ? Are you a closet 'natural' beekeeper ???

I am currently reading William Hamiltons Book, the art of beekeeping. He states that leaving the Bee's to swarm while the keeper is at home to tend to them is good for the bee's.But He does say that it is better beekeeping, when the keeper is away from the hives through work or, whatever, that He or She performs some kind of swarm control.

if "unhappiness in a colony" = defensiveness

Then swarming must be the pinnacle of happiness for a colony

it a certainly promotes a feeling of well being to at least one beekeeper

Last edited:

I'm thinking of growing cannabis this year.

Sure you haven't started sampling already Pete :sifone: all this anthropomorphism suggests to me you've spent too much time out on the moors dancing with the piskies! you'll be plastering your hives with cowshjte next!

Spot on. My favourite queen told me her girls had advised her it was time to go as pathogens were building up in her old nest, and it was best to start a new one, she did mention she was worried about leaving some of her children behind but one of the old drones reassured her that they'd be fine and that the disease levels would have receded by the time her daughter'd got married, consummated and been bereaved several times before producing grand daughters. She said this made more sense and was less stress to her than carting all the baggage of a continuous brood nest around with her all the time.

The problem is not the original swarm, that is fine, but if you can't reach it then the problem is where they make their final home. I have an old stone house and I don't want them in the walls however cuddly they might be! The roof could be even worse, so......in my opinion managing the swarm before it happens is crucial!
E

Can't you just aske them nicely to hold off swarming until it is convenient for you - and ask them at the same time to avoid areas wich could cause problems? you could whisper it into their ears as you run your fine toothed varroa comb through their cuddly fur during their weekly grooming session.

I gave up the weekly grooming sessions when they asked for hair straighteners. Went to have a look at the darlings today to see if their starvation diet was working. They had left loads of fondant. One went ape-s**t on my veil and bit a hole in it! I noticed that after it's initial grumpy buzzing that the head was poking through. Went to meet the great swarm in the sky. The other hive hefted heavy.

It's artificial swarms for the lot of them.

Grump.

Can't you just aske them nicely to hold off swarming until it is convenient for you - and ask them at the same time to avoid areas wich could cause problems? you could whisper it into their ears as you run your fine toothed varroa comb through their cuddly fur during their weekly grooming session.

I'm a bit worried that you might have caught Pete's Seasonally Adjusted Deficit Disorder ... you need some Lesotho air pronto !! Not long now !!!

Does anyone know.

Quite!
If I were you, and had the advice of a very old experienced beekeeper on hand, I would consider myself fortunate.
You might also read some of the many threads on this forum on the topic of swarming, to get a flavour of the unbelievable excitement that takes hold of people when involved in s swarm - most LOVE it even if they would rather that the swarms they get involved in were not their own. Be that as it may, you will arrive at a balanced view.
Good luck with your bees.

When it comes to bees "We will never know for sure" is the pinnacle of wisdom in my book.

Back