Swarming - let them be bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd101k2000

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I was just talking with a lovely, venerable bee keeper. She was suggesting that, as I work from home and have a reasonable size garden, I let my bees swarm this year. The bees would thank me for it. (The idea being that I would catch the swarm and deposit them in their new des-res. The bees would be in some higher state of bliss having been allowed to follow their natural instinct.)

This, when I had been researching the 97 and a half ways of performing artificial swarms, came as fresh thinking.

It is not yet spring, you are all bored, what do you think?

, what do you think?

Why not ?
Assuming you can be reasonably sure they're not going to go somewhere and cause a public nuisance (or private, for that matter), you can guarantee your bees arent carrying disease elsewhere, you can afford to let them go, and of course, your crystal ball says there will be a good mating window for the virgins left behind.

Edit: And one of the unforeseen consequences of this tactic can be that your bees swarm themselves silly leaving an unviable sorry little huddle of bees unlikely to build up enough to make it through the winter.

Last edited:
The theory is fine but only if - and it is a big IF - you catch and hive the swarm.

My apiary is surrounded by 50ft Chestnut and Oak trees and sods law decrees that any swarm I get is 49ft up and totally out of reach.

I am thinking of going double brood and attaching a swarm tunnel a la the skep beekeeper on u tube.

We do have a few loonatics in our area JD - spent too much time sampling the product of the Cwmdu crowd by the sound of her!
OK out in the sticks beyond llangadog (which I presume is where she lives) but in Caerbryn - I doubt the locals would thank you for it

I agree with jenkinsbrynmair it is all fun and games until they appear on your neighbours garden furniture.

Yep ...step too far for me and I'm a bit to the left of most of you in beekeeping terms ! Might consider it if I was way off the beaten track but anywhere near habitation and you are inviting a potential problem - what if they decide the neighbours chimney is their next des res ? ... Keep an eye open for queen cells and AS - you will achieve the same result.

Good idea if you want increases and no honey crop.
If you do this every year you may at some stage have a re-think as they keep multiplying.
Let them think they have swarmed by any method you choose and they will still be in that happy state and you may get some surplus honey too.

A swarm exiting a hive can do so in a very short time, maybe whilst you are making a cuppa and could land anywhere within a couple of hundred metres beofre possibly setting off again.

Friend of mine does this but puts 2 bait hives at the other end of his garden and caught 6 swarms last year from his 3 hives. He has almost run out of bait hives, but should be ok soon as some were so small they probably wont last the winter. :spy:

Sorry, don't see the advantage compared to an artificial swarm.

Disadvantage is that if you fail to notice/catch/hive-and-keep then they are gone. And while you are waving farewell, wave farewell to both the idea of making effective increase and the idea of getting a proper crop this year. Both alternatives disappear with the departing swarm.

You must remember that age and experience do not invariably bring wisdom. In beekeeping or anything else.
Also consider that a sense of humour, mischief and love of practical jokes does not necessarily disappear with advancing age.

Better IMHO to familiarise yourself with the basic (Pagden) artificial swarm, and leave refinements until after you have that down pat. Walking before running, and suchlike.
It works, which is why so many beekeepers use it.
Just remember to recheck the brood side, to avoid leaving excess QCs - otherwise you'll be practising your swarm catching on lots of casts!

Thank you for all the replies. It sort of echoes my own thoughts - working in IT I am acquainted with both the laws of Sod and Murphy. Chances are the swarm would end up in the chimney of the lady who lives three doors down and claims to be allergic to stings.

I was interested if the bees would end up with more joie de vivre than from an artificial swarm. It would appear that, even if they do, the hassle is not worth it.

This year I will be doing a simple A/S (unless the bees decide otherwise). I would like to get the local reputation of being a responsible bee keeper before I become more adventurous. Also managed to get my new poly hives and nuclei painted before the hail started.

But they can be that just as well, while behaving themselves and staying in the box they were given!

"Joie de vivre," indeed ... :nono:

See post #2, doesnt stop the excitement of being around a swarm though. Even after many years of beekeeping, theres nothing quite like it, even better if its someone else's bees ;)

And yes, "Joie de vivre," does describe quite well the way a newly hived swarm gets going.

What is less stresfull for queen bee - natural swarming or splitting? I am always for a split..

Absolutely wonderful standing in the middle of a cloud of bees. Even better was showing a neighbour as I put my bare hand into the cluster in the hedge. Like stroking a furry animal :)

Back