Swarm Return?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Scavenger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
My neighbour, but one, has 4 hives, one has swarmed and landed in a tree, next door. He retrieved in into a nuc and placed the nuc by the other hives. Two days later the swarm had gone. Could it have returned to the hive it came from or done a bunk!! We are both scratching out heads. :hairpull:

Probably absconded. A nuc feels a bit small for a new home, to a swarm.

Next time, trap them in with a queen excluder over the entrance. Then they'll stay put.

ijcooper is likely spot on.

No need to scratch heads. Consider: Was this a prime or a cast swarm?

Swarms are notoriously fickle and primes ars likely to abscond from such a small 'home'. All ways round, not a good chance of success. So not really surprised if they have absconded.

I'd heard this was quite common and so I bought a Poly nuc with the sliding disc entrance thingies. You can buy the disc entrance thingies from Th***** separately so it might be an idea to buy one for that nuc.

Sorry to hear that your friend lost their swarm :(

M

He looses one every year and I will pass on your comments . Many thanks all.

I'd heard this was quite common and so I bought a Poly nuc with the sliding disc entrance thingies. You can buy the disc entrance thingies from Th***** separately so it might be an idea to buy one for that nuc.

Sorry to hear that your friend lost their swarm :(

M

I have been to Th***** today and I should have got some, just in case. I will next time. Another bit of kit!!

If you don't have an excluder handy, include a frame with a few eggs on, in the nuc. That will strongly encourage them to stay put. Might be more convenient.

Latest posts

Back