swarm nesting under hive roof

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jullie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hello,
Can someone give me some advice? I went on a beekeeping course last spring, just a one day taster session, I had a great time and it inspired me to want to be a beekeeper, it wasn't something I wanted to rush into and though I bought a hive and some bits and pieces i didn't get any bees. I wanted to join my local society and learn a bit more first. Due to illness I didn't persue this any further and my beehive sat at the bottom looking pretty until now. About ten days ago I noticed that bees were flying in and out of the hive, so yesterday I put my bee jacket on and my gardening gloves, lit my smoker and went to have a look. When I lifted off the roof of the hive (which consisted of a brood box and one super with frames and one empty super) there was a structure about half the size of a rugby ball fixed to the roof of the hive covered in bees, I laid the hive roof upside down and removed the supers and looked at the brood box, none of the frames have been used, I put it all back together and put the roof back on. I am not sure how the queen would have got through the queen excluder, if there is a queen. The bees were quite calm and didn't try to sting me and they go in and out the hive entrance with pollen and take no notice of you normally. I don't know how to get the nest into the brood box. I don't want to harm any brood or any bees, I've already accidently squashed one. Jullie

You will need to cut the combs off the roof and put them into empty frames with elastic bands or string to hold them in. Do this for each comb you cut off placing them into the brood box. You dont need any supers on the hive yet so put them away as they have too much space to keep warm.

Jullie,

Welcome to the forum.

Some extras to Veg's advice.

Don't be in a rush to carry out this procedure!

First you need to ascertain that there is brood present before doing anything like moving comb.

I seems to me that this may well be a cast swarm (a lot of them around this year).

But certainly remove that queen excluder ASAP or she may not be able to go on mating flights (if a virgin queen) even though she managed to get in there in the first place.

Regards, RAB

Thank you both for your help, I will try and check the comb for brood, I did take the queen excluder off when I opened the hive, secretly hoping they'd all want to move down to their untouched foundation. Jullie

Jullie,

Simple rule for most honey bees - start building down from the top (some go 'along' but still hang it from above).

You should have had a crown board at the top of the hive boxes. Get/make one (if you don't already have it) close all the orifices, that may be in it for other purposes, and fit it when you do the move.

A question: Does your hive have a solid floor, or OMF? I am thinking it is quite likely a solid floor (swarms prefer a dark enclosure - but your already fitted frames may have been enough to reduce the intensity from below) and that it would be better eventually to be an OMF. Your choice on that one, though.

Oxford is a big place (I used to have an OX post code). There may be some helpful beeks local to you. Time now to pursue the local BKA!

Regards, RAB

Jullie,

Simple rule for most honey bees - start building down from the top (some go 'along' but still hang it from above).

And some never read the books at all....we made three attempts to hive a biggish "cast"* of our own in a conventional hive week before last before they vanished.

They turned up under the flat roof of a four foot top bar hive which has quite a big colony in it already. The height of the void is just enough for feeders or Kingspan by 48 inches by 18 inches. A wet transfer into a commercial ensued including their three combs and the tbh was moved three feet, sprayed with mint and camouflaged with a couple of willow "trees" on that side. After 36 hours penned in they were lightly fed and are now bringing in pollen.

*There is a slight chance it was actually a prime from a nuc with a mated marked queen. We shall see....

Good luck with the hiving Julie. And do get in touch with your local beekeepers for help. An extra pair of hands for this sort of thing is very useful (and less sticky all round :)).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back