Swarm lures from ebay

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Smith

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I have the lemon grass oil, I have borrowed some frames of drawn comb and I have made up two traps. I want to increase my chances of catching a swarm and was thinking of purchasing lures. I have seen reasonably priced lures on eBay but I am not sure if they are any good.
Has anyone used lures purchased from eBay with success?
Do they actually contain the chemicals that mimic the nasanov pheromone (or will I just be purchasing some expensive phials of lemongrass oil or some other liquid)?

(or will I just be purchasing some expensive phials of lemongrass oil or some other liquid)?

very likely :). if you want to make your own nasonov mix: 2:1 citral and geraniol oils. will not be cheap but you know its the real deal.

if you want pure stuff, Sigma-aldrich or Fisher or another supplier of lab reagents. Otherwise, any of those health shops might have them for aromatherapy.

Thanks
Are these the same components of the lures sold by the likes of Thornes?

Thanks
Are these the same components of the lures sold by the likes of Thornes?

I have no clue. I am sure if you ask they will give you a reasonable answer...

I have the lemon grass oil, I have borrowed some frames of drawn comb and I have made up two traps. I want to increase my chances of catching a swarm and was thinking of purchasing lures. I have seen reasonably priced lures on eBay but I am not sure if they are any good.
Has anyone used lures purchased from eBay with success?
Do they actually contain the chemicals that mimic the nasanov pheromone (or will I just be purchasing some expensive phials of lemongrass oil or some other liquid)?

Well ... they haven't caught me any swarms but the ones I bought on ebay certainly attract bees ... I made the mistake of opening the vial on the garden table on the patio last year ... spilt some of it - table plagued by bees for two weeks ... the smell doesn't half hang about.

I'd have thought it would be better to buy from a beekeeping supplies rather than a possibly dodgy ebay seller. Paynes swarm lures work very well and a pack of 5 is much cheaper than buying citral and geraniol to make your own.

I use these to try to mop up any escapees from my apiary and also to tell me that a colony may be about to swarm.
Cazza

I'm using a combination of lemongrass oil and the vita Europe swarm attractant wipes this year. I've torn the bottom off the sachet and nailed to a frame, few drops of lemongrass on top frames and outside certainly gets them interested. The prime swarm I caught even went into a hive with just foundation in so think it works.

Back