Swarm landing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tom Bick

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5bG_OIO9mA"]Swarm landing - YouTube[/ame]

Pretty close to Heathrow helped with the sound effects and only just noticed the timing when I checked through my phone yesterday although a plane every two mins and depending on which runway.....................................................................................................................you get used to having to stop talking mid sentence to let the plane pass before starting again. Made life interesting when I ran a couple of workshops on site.
Also people can get a bit confused when you refer to flight path.

Concorde used to set off the car alarms when she flew over Teddington when I lived there :)
People used to stop and look at her even though it was a daily occurrence.
Pity she's gone.

Yes she was beautiful but OMG bloody noisy. I had a flat right on one of the flight paths and on a Sunday you could get several flights a day and the flat would vibrate. The workshop was the same at times and a few mins after going over the top of me you could hear it land and then sometime later another take off and this was approx 4 miles away. Personally I am glad she’s gone although they have one parked up at Heathrow round the back of a hanger and you can get a glimpse when driving past.

Very cramped passenger accommodation !
Needed a quick hop across the pond !
VM

The only way to fly ... fast as possible. Way ahead of her time.

A lovely aeroplane ... My company worked airside at Heathrow and worked on the jetty that Concorde used ... amazing how small it was when you saw it parked next to a Jumbo. But - very noisy !! Got some photos somewhere - will have to dig them out.

A lovely aeroplane ... My company worked airside at Heathrow and worked on the jetty that Concorde used ... amazing how small it was when you saw it parked next to a Jumbo. But - very noisy !! Got some photos somewhere - will have to dig them out.

No current warplane could catch up with her. Mach 2 is something special

Yes she was beautiful but OMG bloody noisy. I had a flat right on one of the flight paths ...
I was probably a neighbour. The incoming path to 27R lined up with the lounge window. Concorde was good to look at but a product of the time. At take off Concorde weighed 90 tonnes, plus 90 tonnes of fuel to carry 90 passengers to New York starting with a roar and a cloud of brown fumes. I'm glad it existed, but from a noise, fuel consumption and pollution angle it is better not to be in regular use any more.

Flew in her from UK to US. Uncomfortable seats, drab interior (before facelift).

I thought it was underwhelming .. and given that flight was a Monday and iirc my itinerary that week included UK, US, Germany, UK, Germany... I was too tired to appreciate it.

Flew in her from UK to US. Uncomfortable seats, drab interior (before facelift).

I thought it was underwhelming .. and given that flight was a Monday and iirc my itinerary that week included UK, US, Germany, UK, Germany... I was too tired to appreciate it.

But you shared a piece of history having flown on Concorde -- something that those of us who haven't will, now, never be able to do.

"Personally I am glad she’s gone although they have one parked up at Heathrow round the back of a hanger and you can get a glimpse when driving past."

IMHO it's a bl**dy disgrace leaving her rotting in her little anonymous fenced enclosure at the end of the taxiway alongside the south runway. brings a tear to my eye every time i pass her.

Why BA haven't got her gracing either the roundabout at the approach to T5 or in the wasted space of the 'plaza' between multistorey car park and T5 is beyond me.

Apparently one was once forced to make an emergency landing at Bologna Airport and blew out the terminal windows on take-off.

I think they put her round the back for all the plane spotters that congregate on the field opposite.

I was probably a neighbour. The incoming path to 27R lined up with the lounge window. Concorde was good to look at but a product of the time. At take off Concorde weighed 90 tonnes, plus 90 tonnes of fuel to carry 90 passengers to New York starting with a roar and a cloud of brown fumes. I'm glad it existed, but from a noise, fuel consumption and pollution angle it is better not to be in regular use any more.

I lined up with the right runway and the two photos I posted one from my living room window and the other from the kitchen so we may well have been close neighbors, or at least in line with one another. If memory serves me right that was the last flight into Heathrow. Were you around for the 50th anniversary of Heathrow that was quite a day I had a bird’s eye view of all the old planes that were still flying and flew from Heathrow the Lancaster bomber nearly took the roof of my flat or at least it felt that way.

Why BA haven't got her gracing either the roundabout at the approach to T5 or in the wasted space of the 'plaza' between multistorey car park and T5 is beyond me...
Because those spaces are owned by Heathrow airport. Anything parked there would count as advertising and attract a substantial fee - that's if advertising was allowed there as part of the planning permission.

Paying to advertise an aircraft they no longer operate wouldn't get past the CFO. You might recall the model Concorde on the roundabout outside the underpass. Now an Emirates 380, they were willing to pay more for the space.

Latest posts

Back