swarm from an apidea

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrian wilford

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
went to retrive some queens from my apideas, on one frame a well developed, capped, queen cell and yes couldn't find any trace of a queen, no eggs but sealed brood. my only thought was has she swarmed, try to find that in an orchard with 120 trees!! anyone else known of a similar experience?

Yes:banghead: I have that "T" shirt.

I now check weekly and as soon as I find eggs (mated and laying?) I slide the queen excluder over the entrance trapping her in until I can confirm she is laying worker brood. She is then introduced to a colony or Nuc asap.

The one that did swarm produced a cluster about the size of a tennis ball - I did find it and "hive" it into an empty Apidea:)

It has happened to me a few times too. Timing is critcal in queen rearing.

Last year when I wanted to put a queen into a bigger mini nuc with a super on it the whole lot of them got fed up and absconded straight inot a queenless hive where they settled straight in with no dead bees - I still think that was a miracle.

"Timing is critcal in queen rearing."

Never a truer word.

PH

anyone else known of a similar experience?

Had the pleasure of walking with just such a swarm at head height, right across our 25 acre field, until it disappeared over the hedge. A couple of paces to either side and I was out of the swarm, a couple of paces and right back in the middle. I threw my veil back and just enjoyed the sight and sound of joining the swarm, worth losing a queen for the experience :)

went to retrive some queens from my apideas, on one frame a well developed, capped, queen cell and yes couldn't find any trace of a queen, no eggs but sealed brood. my only thought was has she swarmed, try to find that in an orchard with 120 trees!! anyone else known of a similar experience?

My menthor teached 40 years ago, that if I use normal frame size mating nucs, I do not need worry about leaving of just mated queens.

I give to mating nucs brood/bee frame, food frame and a foundation.
First the nuc has one frame of bees. Then 10 days later the queen start to lay. I give next brood frame and the nuc will be full of bees and it can nurse those 3 frames.

The mini hive can be in the nuc next 4-5 weeks. Then it will burst ot.

To devide a normal box into 3-4 mating nucs with boards is really bad idea.
Losses of queens is huge. Máke them solitary nucs when you make.
Yes I had them 35 years, I know.

My menthor teached 40 years ago, that if I use normal frame size mating nucs, I do not need worry about leaving of just mated queens.

I give to mating nucs brood/bee frame, food frame and a foundation.
First the nuc has one frame of bees. Then 10 days later the queen start to lay. I give next brood frame and the nuc will be full of bees and it can nurse those 3 frames.

The mini hive can be in the nuc next 4-5 weeks. Then it will burst ot.

Like a lot of people I had several instances of bees absconding out of apidea last year and in the current season we have had bees abscond from around 1/3 of the apidea/apidea sized mating nucs: this despite taking great care to select young bees to populate these mating nucs and to close them in for a day or two to accilatise them to their new homes. I have yet to have bees abscond from a kieler or a 5 or six frame Nuc.
I am in the process of making up extra 5 and 6 frame Nucs and dummy boards to reduce my reliance upon smaller mating Nucs.

Latest posts

Back