Swarm from a few weeks ago rescued from tree

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbc

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
20210910_164958.jpg
A swarm from a few weeks ago rescued from an open nest built in the tree, probably about 9 or 10 pounds of honey in the comb they built on flimsy branches that sprung up when I secateured the nest into a box.

A 20210910_153518.jpg

Excellent Ceri. How are they doing?
I shook them off their comb into a freshly extracted set of frames now just, no sign of brood and the honey is heather.
My best guess is that it's a large cast that's not got mated yet, I've high hopes the queen will be a good one, she obviously has attractive pheromones to hold the colony together in a tree so healthily pre brood.
I'll check on them in a fortnight, lovely calm bees and typical local native morphology, I think they're from one of my hives 😎

Well I’m looking forward to next year with your two who are happily laying away in their nucs and both lots mounting a decent guard on the landing boards.

Reactions: mbc
Well I’m looking forward to next year with your two who are happily laying away in their nucs and both lots mounting a decent guard on the landing boards.
Let me know how they get on, warts and all!

Back