Swarm Control using a QE

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin G

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Possibly a silly question, but those who don’t ask and all that……

All the discussion on swarming seems to indicate that the workers leave when there is a queen to accompany them. What happens if a Queen excluder type device was under the brood/over the entrance preventing the queen from leaving, thus giving the beek more time to recognise the hive was swarming.

I was thinking of this as a ‘delay’ tactic rather than a prevention method, particularly for those who didn’t expect to be able to visit their bees for longer than the swarming process would take.

As I’m sure this isn’t the first time this idea has been explored so I was wondering what the general thinking had been and does the method work.

Martin

there are 'swarm catchers' that go over the entrance. The main downsides are a) drones, and b) a slimmed down queen might get through anyway. Wing clipping is probably more useful.

A false swarm is the best way to handle swarming fever.
QE makes more trouples than solve them. It was common idea 50 y ago.

MB supply a queen trap system that has been successfully used in finland - essentially just a framed QE with new entrance ABOVE which replaces your normal bottom entrance for 3-4 weeks. probably slightly less problem with drones as gravity may help keep the excluder clear.

as discussed many times before QEs work by excluding the larger thorax of HM so slimming down to fly shouldn't be an issue normally wherever you put the QE.

MB supply a queen trap system that has been successfully used in finland - essentially just a framed QE with new entrance ABOVE which replaces your normal bottom entrance for 3-4 weeks. probably slightly less problem with drones as gravity may help keep the excluder clear.

i do not know what is that queen trap system. I have not met any mentioning about new trap system among beekeepers. Honey paradise sells something, but I have not seen it.

When you do a false swar, swarming is so resolved. No need toplays 3-4 weeks.

Internet is full of "swarming coltrol and prevent " writings but none offers QE to that job unless you do not count this very popular preventing method:

this is most usual method in Australia and in USA too.

To prevent swarming brood and all food frames are lifted above the QE and the queen must use empty combs and foundatins to lay. However often bees make queen cells above the QE but the colony does not swarm.

This works only if the colony does not allready have swarming fever.

Look more "swarm control maarec" google.

Finman referrs to the Demaree method.

A q/ex can be used for just a few days - maybe after an artificial swarm, I wouldn't want to use it for too long. You'll tend to get it bunged up with dead drones that can't get through.

Herrod-Hemsall (1940's) referred to the device Skyhooks post #3 as the Brice Swarm Catcher. How many have you seen?
?
?
?
Precisely. Very few. If they worked then people would be using them is my view. :)
MartinG. A good question. Clipping the queens wing is the best way of keeping the bees IMO.

Last edited:
Wing clipping is probably more useful.

Much more useful. I am always surprised that so few do it only to have swarms annoying everybody ain the vicinity, compromising the life of a colony probably going feral and losing the honey they take with them. Astonishing really.

Now why are they not clipping the queens?

"Oh it hurts the poor dear.

I am not going to mutilate that beautiful creature..

I am against such a practice...."

1000 other excuses.

AKA If I am honest I can't find her to clip her.

PH

Latest posts

Back