Swarm & colony survival in the wild

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just collected a big swarm that had taken up residance in a compost bin. It almost certainly came from a nearby feral colony thats been there for several years.

There may have been bees in the colony several years, but they were probably not the same bees. The brave experiments some of the Biobee forum people have undertaken in not using thymol or organic acids to treat for varroa, and the subsequent collapse of their colonies from varroa, shows us that without chemical treatments bees are not living very long.

Bees will be attracted back to the same place even if the orginal colony died out, so it may look as if it is the same bees, when it is probably different swarms taking up residence after the pervious bees died. :(

"shows us that without chemical treatments bees are not living very long" - is untrue, and utter misleading cobblers!
I know several people who use the Biobee forum who's colonies are hale and hearty with no varroa treatments whatsoever (or a bit of sugar dusting....)

There may have been bees in the colony several years, but they were probably not the same bees. The brave experiments some of the Biobee forum people have undertaken in not using thymol or organic acids to treat for varroa, and the subsequent collapse of their colonies from varroa, shows us that without chemical treatments bees are not living very long....> :(

It certainly shows us that spme of our our 'managed' bees in hives are suffering with or without treatment, but it seems that some feral colonies are doing very well like the ones here: http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11275 and some research is centering on these colonies.

Colonies can appear hale and hearty for one or two years, but one of the greatest proponents of sugar dusting lost all his colonies twice.

No-one should doubt the capability of a small percentage of bees to adapt and survive Varroa. To doubt this flies in the face of all sorts of experiences across a wide range of species.

If I ever get hold of a genuinely feral colony I will be very grateful and will run them without treatment to see how they get on. I'll probably never be so lucky but I can only hope.

Most colonies may succumb or be heavily affected for several generations but there will be a few who cope and thrive. They may suffer from other depradations such as poor forage but they will be out there.

Sam

I know several people who use the Biobee forum who's colonies are hale and hearty with no varroa treatments whatsoever (or a bit of sugar dusting....)

"Several" out of 5136 members as of today? Well that's the varroa problem sorted then... :rolleyes:

The whole problem with the "to treat or not to treat" argument is that bees will only successfully adapt if we ALL stop treating for varroa. No serious advance will be made if Joe Bloggs with 2 hives stops treating but everyone around him carries on. Yes, his bees may appear to survive quite happily but there will be no real scientific evidence for it. These things need to be done on a large scale.
John Kefuss (spelling?) has done such large scale experiments in isolated areas of France and Chile and reported minimal colony losses and very very low varroa levels.
Anything we may do as individual beekeepers may make us feel a bit better but won't truly make a great deal of difference to honeybee adaptation.

Myxomatosis killed over 95% of the rabbit population in ‘54, now some 60 years later over 65% of the rabbit population is reckoned to be immune. Not sure how many of this forum’s users can wait that long for honey bees to do the same though . . .

Colonies can appear hale and hearty for one or two years, but one of the greatest proponents of sugar dusting lost all his colonies twice.

Can you say who that is and what caused the demise of "all his colonies"?

and how many colonies was that?

and were they all in the same place?

I'm hoping that unlike so many others on here you will give a reply.

Ta, Chris

Back