Swarm Collectors List

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not entirely accurate: to do Basic (first practical exam) you need to have 12 months beekeeping under your belt, for modules two years.

Appologies susbees, I have obviously been misinformed.

Bypass any such list.

Register yourself with the local police (who usually keep a list), the relevant department at your local council and, probably more rewarding, with the local pest control contractors. The latter generally know very well what honeybees are (there have been glorious exceptions) and are normally either reluctant to destroy them or are actually prevented from doing so. They are also very amenable to you placing criteria on what you will or will not come to collect.

The contractors will happily deal with the wasp nests, advise on leaving it alone if bumbles, and be pleased to save honeybees. If, after consultation with the beekeepers, it is deemed irrecoverable in its location, they will then consult with the homeowner and possibly the council about either leaving it in situ or destroying it. Sadly the last resort sometimes has to be destruction. An example would be one I attended where a swarm of rather tetchy black bees had gone into a void in a stone built cavity wall, immediately above a school main door. Kids and parents were being stung. It would have cost thousands in masons fees to take it out.

'Swarms' in nest boxes are a regular call and almost invariably bumbles...but I will never forget the day a woman who had been in my class at school (and should have known better as her grandfather had a few hives) plead with me to visit as her nest box............a big one she said.........was completely full of bees.

So full in fact that her tits were hanging about in the open.............

With the description of the box completely full I thought it might be a small swarm, and she WAS an old acquaintance, so I went. Yep....about 20 buff tailed bumbles. At least she was polite. Not all are, and regard it as a service they should be entitled to and give you a real hard time if you do not attend IMMEDIATELY. Some think they can charge you for the bees. Thats a good moment to remember your urgent appointment in Bulawayo and apologise for the inconvenience, but Bob X along the road (who you do not like) is the man for you to call. ( Might be the moment to give them the BBKA swarm helpline number............)

Appologies susbees, I have obviously been misinformed.

No problem, and you'll be pleased to hear the modules may shortly be taking a more practical route though, to be honest, I find writing about practical things a load harder than doing them.

That's my opinion, but then I'm a left wing wishy washy liberal, not a right wing money grabbing hang em high Tory like most Beekeepers seem to be :)
Wouldn't it be better to sell them a couple of hives (adding a nominal fee for getting the swarm into one), a suit, set of tools, and a beekeeping course with the local association? :)

... it is like the bbka not allowing people to take exams without 2 years under their belt, they could be really competent Beekeepers.
Not entirely accurate: to do Basic (first practical exam) you need to have 12 months beekeeping under your belt, for modules two years.
Our local association says you have to have had bees for two complete years before being allowed to apply to take the Basic.

ITLD:
"Register yourself with the local police (who usually keep a list), the relevant department at your local council......

Most stopped doing that years ago and tell you go to the council - where a long list of wannabee swarm catchers awaits your name at the bottom.

Our local association says you have to have had bees for two complete years before being allowed to apply to take the Basic.

Then they are applying their own criteria for putting you forward. If was me I'd kick up a fuss or find another route to apply if an issue.

From the BBKA site:

To take the Basic Assessment you should have managed at least one colony of bees for a minimum of 12 months.

{Two years required}
Then they are applying their own criteria for putting you forward. If was me I'd kick up a fuss or find another route to apply if an issue.

From the BBKA site:

To take the Basic Assessment you should have managed at least one colony of bees for a minimum of 12 months.

Noted that they even say 'should' rather than 'must' ...

Noted that they even say 'should' rather than 'must' ...

I think in this case the meaning is interchangeable. The prospectus states under Conditions of Entry

The Candidate shall have managed at least one colony of bees for a minimum
of 12 month

ITLD:
"Register yourself with the local police (who usually keep a list), the relevant department at your local council......

Most stopped doing that years ago and tell you go to the council - where a long list of wannabee swarm catchers awaits your name at the bottom.

our county council and the county police are contacted by the local BKA who pass on a list of swarm co-ordinators, these co-ordinators cover a specific area each, and they in turn have a list of folk willing to collect swarms in their area.

tony, (swarm co-ordinator for south norfolk)

It's in black & white on the website somewhere to the left under "exams" and isn't the same as modules (written exams).

ITLD:

Neither system appears to work well down here. If you're working with a pest controller they want you to be competent and have a bit of experience - you reflect on their business as their "sub-con". One of the two I work with expects me to do phone advice as well...but it's worth it.

In the old days :rolleyes:

Police used to ring - give my number, only one on their list, and away to go.

Claim to fame:

Photograph in the newspapers with front page headline:

"Eisteddfod Will Go Ahead! Beekeeper Saves The Day !"

Mr ***** etc kindly came at short notice to remove a swarm of bees that would have prevented the Eisteddfod going ahead...... etc etc "

The press made much mileage and a very short bit on TV.

The swarm was very small and the Eisteddfod in a small seaside town not THE Eisteddfod.

Still they never let the facts get in the way of a good story and even a couple of years later I had people thanking me for helping the 'Big One' at Llangollen go ahead!

Good days. Great country. :)

From the BBKA site:

Yes, it seems that they might be using their own criteria, which could make it difficult getting applications signed.

Sorry, a bit off topic :eek:

Yes, it seems that they might be using their own criteria, which could make it difficult getting applications signed.

Sorry, a bit off topic :eek:

I might just ask the question as I need to phone the exam sec next week.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Thought I would follow up the swarm collectors list operated by BBKA

My question was simply.... how does a beekeeper get their name on their swarm collectors list.... I did not mention my name, where I lived, if I kept bees or had any experience.

Two separate "officials" said that they believed the list was closed and was only open to "approved" swarm collectors.

Bums rush !
:eek::eek::eek:

IMHO contact local council and out your name on the list, if they have one. Most local pest control departments (council) appreciate local beeks who will attend to swarms (at short notice sometimes). I certainly have a good relationship with my local officer!

IMHO contact local council and out your name on the list, if they have one. Most local pest control departments (council) appreciate local beeks who will attend to swarms (at short notice sometimes). I certainly have a good relationship with my local officer!

Certainly seems the way to go for those with an interest and wherewithal to collect swarms.
IMHO the "BBKA Officials" must have enough on their hands and limits in time to spend warding off calls from Joe Public about swarm collection... and Joe wants something done now !... not wait on an official co=ordinator to grind through the system of carefully vetted and unavailable BeeKs:banghead:

What does bums rush mean icanhopit?

To answer your question...
The BBKA contacted local BKAs recently saying that they wre proposing that only persons nominated by their local BKAs would go on the swarm list and that other non nominated people would not get on the list.

Latest posts

Back