Swarm Collection Box for DIY-Incapable?!?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malawi2854

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello all,

I collected a couple of tiny swarms last year, which I did easily in a National correx nuc box I bought my first bees in.
This works well, the lid hinges fully open, so I can bash bees into it, close it up, and there there is a little flap on the bottom that I can leave open to allow stragglers to return, and close up for transport home.

However - it lets me down for 3 reasons:
1. It doesn't feel terribly secure - I'm not anaphylactic or anything, but I do become rather unwell if I get stung - which I can manage during normal beekeeping - but when driving, it wouldn't be a good idea - and something I would like to avoid where possible!

2. It is too small really - at least, I think it is. It was fine for the swarms I collected last year - but they were really small. It holds 5 frames - is this big enough for a "full size" swarm?

3. It holds standard National frames - whereas I'm using 14x12's.

SO - I am looking for a box that: (in order of priority!)
  • Holds 14x12 frames
  • I can make bee-tight when required
  • Is of a reasonable enough size to collect "proper" swarms
  • That I don't have to build - my DIY skills are non-existent! I can put together a self-assembly (with instructions!) but that is about it!
  • That doesn't cost the Earth

Can anyone help with suggestions?

I have a poly nuc box already, which I'm pleased with - but it doesn't give me the ability to close up the entrance fully for transport - which would worry me with bee escape!

Thanks!

Hi Steve

I swapped from using an old home made wooden nuc to a poly nuc to collect swarms in last year. If you look closely at the picture on this thread in post 1 you will see who the supplier is.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=223790&postcount=1
Thanks to MM for a great picture.

I also bought the eke to go with it to convert it 14x12 which makes it ideal for collecting swarms. I've collected a few big swarms over the years and so far none of them have filled a 14x12 or a deep langstroth hive when I've transferred them over a day or two later.

Thanks Mike - that is very helpful - and right up my alley!

What do you do about closing up the entrance to transport them? Do you use the disc the P-people sell on their website?

Why the frames?

I've always been under the impression swarmed bees are all supercharged for wax-building with all that honey - so I might as well get them to draw out some frames, rather than waste it on brace comb!

Quite so....tip them into a prepared hive ("one I made earlier"...lol) when you get back to the apiary. If it's dark by then, use a red light=chilled out bees.

I just use a homemade "Nuk" that holds 6 frames.

Its usually big enough, and has a closeable access hole.

What do you do about closing up the entrance to transport them? Do you use the disc the P-people sell on their website?

Once I have collected the swarm I strap up the nuc and return later when its dark. When I use a soft piece of foam to block up the entrance.

Earlier in the day I add a strip of wood across the frame hanger to stop the frames from sliding sideways and another strip of foam under the frames to stop them from waving around later whilst in transit back to my apiary. Once there I pull out the foam blocking the entrance and walk away and leave them in peace for 2-3 days.

To date none of them have absconded.

Last edited:
The most important thing about a swarm collecting box is that is should have a dangling down bit of burlap or cloth, because bees like to cluster and do not like to be spread over the side walls of a box.

I ram a piece of stick into the skep, to provide something for the bees to cling to apart from the sides of the skep.
skep, sheet, and a piece of string to tie the sheet around it when done. when at apiary, either shake into a hive, or walk them in.
I prefer to use a skep, as it's easier than a wooden box to hold in one hand whilst shaking the bees into it.

Latterly, I have collected swarms into a 6 frame 14 x12 box, with foundation, and left them overnight (in the house) and then taken them to their new resting place the following morning. The amount of comb building is considerable in that short time.

Small colonies would stay in the small box for a while, and larger colonies would be transferred to a full sized box shortly afterwards - all dependent on weather, etc. I like to move them to a distant apiary, were they to be one of my colonies that 'got away' - so they are less likely to abscond.

Just need to think about all the options, as usual.

I use a cardboard whisky box as used for delivering the bottles to the off licence. They are strong and light, the flaps can be used to prop it up to attract the fliers and with flat sides can be used for brushing swarms in from off sides of walls etc. Bees grip cardboard quite well ( you can also enjoy emptying the bottles that come with it!)

Latest posts

Back