Swarm back to original site?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duchy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
4 hives and 2-4 nucs
I have had to move my hives (neighbour complaints), further down the garden. I know 3ft/3miles rule, but had to do it. Moved a 2 hives last Friday and 2 on Tuesday this week. I was expecting to lose my flying bees. Today, I have a swarm, on the original site. I appreciate flying bees go back to the same spot, but would a colony swarm back?

I would suggest maybe it is your flying bees returning to where their home should be and not being able to go anywhere so clustering together.

after moving them I did see flying bees around the next day, but not clustering. I'm pretty sure its a swarm that was hanging down the table. Put a box up and most of them have gone in, flying bees still out though.

I have had to move my hives (neighbour complaints), further down the garden. I know 3ft/3miles rule, but had to do it. Moved a 2 hives last Friday and 2 on Tuesday this week. I was expecting to lose my flying bees. Today, I have a swarm, on the original site. I appreciate flying bees go back to the same spot, but would a colony swarm back?

1/ "3ft or 3 miles" is a rule of thumb to explain bee behaviour to those that don't understand bee behaviour.
It isn't something that can be disregarded simply because the neighbour was annoyed.
It is teaching to prevent exactly this from happening.

2/ You "expected to lose" flying bees. But where did you expect them to go when they were lost?

3/ Do you now appreciate that more than half the (emerged) bees in the colony are "flying bees"?
The flying bees from FOUR colonies will add up to quite a decent number of bees …

4/ To move a hive a short distance (up to tens of yards), you either have to take the bees to your "Plan B" site for a month or so before coming back to the other end of the garden, or else move them a short distance (a yard or so - see below) every day or two.
You can move them 6 feet or so in a single step IF (and only if) the movement is directly backwards (away from the entrance) and the repositioned hive is in plain view from the old entrance position.
You should have moved them in small steps!

5/ Moving the hive "further down the garden" (on its own) is unlikely to reduce nuisance. Other measures may well be necessary.
Erecting a tall trellis will cause the bees to fly up and over it - once they are above the neighbours head-height they should be much less nuisance.
Bees don't like flying through trellis holes, so even without anything growing up the trellis, it can be as effective as a (much more expensive and potentially unsightly) fence.

Itma was very conservative about there being half of the emerged bees as flyers. Look up lifespan of workers and when they start flying.....

ha ha. was going to do that when I move them, again, tonight!

You could have tried moving them a bit less than the width of the hive for as many times as it took to get them where you wanted. Boring but saves you moving them away and then bringing them back.

Itma was very conservative about there being half of the emerged bees as flyers. Look up lifespan of workers and when they start flying.....

Hey, c'mon RAB, its normally you advising people to read posts more carefully!

What I actually posted was -

3/ Do you now appreciate that more than half the (emerged) bees in the colony are "flying bees"?
The flying bees from FOUR colonies will add up to quite a decent number of bees …

Of course, the proportion of "flying bees" will vary with previous variations in laying rate, and laying rate changes with the seasons … so its hard to generalise - but I thought my phrasing left me on safe ground … !!!

Latest posts

Back