Swarm Arrival Video - Take II

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosti

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I recently posted a video of a swarm arrival at a bait hive (13-06), I re-set the bait hive the following day. Then followed a couple of days of bad weather; a couple of days of increasing scout activity and then yesterday (20-06), bingo. Fifth take on this bait hive so far this year and having gone 4 years without actually witnessing a swarm arrive I get to see two in a week!

I mentioned last time that when observing scout activity that the scouts were cleaning out the hive (of wax debris I deliberately left in there), the same happened this time and continued whilst the swarm was taking up residence, I managed to film part of the clean up this time. Enjoy. R

Honey Bee Swarm Arrival - take II

Straight in this time, no messing about! Another easy catch!

That bait hive/location appears to be a real optimum for the job.

Bits of broken comb will feature in mine if I put any out again.

Of four swarms I have collected this year, three have homed themselves in out-of-use boxes and for the other, I collected just a couple of miles away.

Regards, RAB

Brilliant video!

Loved the 'Backflips' to dispose of debris.

We have had a bait hive out for two years at home. Scouts have looked, the maximum we have seen is 5/6 and this year 2 maximum.

We think there are no bees to be brought by scouts.

Pleased for you.

Excellent!!!!
Was mentioning bait hives to hubby and he says he used to dowse when her worked for water board as a youngster...
I don't know whether he was taking the P or not.......:rolleyes:

Excellent!!!!
Was mentioning bait hives to hubby and he says he used to dowse when her worked for water board as a youngster...
I don't know whether he was taking the P or not.......:rolleyes:

Crikey! I am out of touch, can you dowse for P now? I suppose if you find it you are allowed to take it :)

Another great video Rosti
not worthy

A few weeks ago I spotted something I hadn't really taken any notice of before and I see your swarm showing the same behaviour. If you watch some of the bees they seem to be walking around really fast and instead of the normal fluid movement they look almost robotic or clockwork. High on excitement or pheromones I have no idea but definitely interesting.

Good example of this in the video I took yesterday when collecting a small cast swarm.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxCkm4so1E4

Last edited:
I've had a look at your green bin video Mike, I hadn't paid it any attention but you are right there are similarities between the two swarms with a minority of bees moving in a 'mechanical' rapid way. No idea why though? Your thoughts on pheromone stimulus is certainly a possibility.

Nice neighbours too.

We have, but the key is to act responsibly and not to abuse it! I generally only bait hive at home with perhaps 1 colony in residence at any one time and any hint of aggression and they are off down the apiary. No incidents in 4 years, long may it continue.

Latest posts

Back