Swarm advice please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Back from holiday tonight and my first task was to check my bees! Found a hanging swarm at 8pm next to my hives and was easily shaken from a tree branch and placed in a nuc box in which I had placed one frame of foundation. I have sealed the nuc, best next steps? How long to leave in sealed nuc, maybe best to merge in Autumn should I add 3/4 more frames of foundation with a frame of honey? I have no spare drawn foundation suppose could take a super or brood from other hives

Fill the nuc with frames of foundation or the bees will fill with brace comb I would check after 3 days then feed if needed, also check if it was a swarm from one of your hives it may not have been

what do you mean 'sealed' ?
You need to find the colony it emanated from (if it is one of yours) and reduce the QC's in there or you will have cast swarms.
Forget stores, they'll fend for themselves but get the box filled with foundation ASAP

Last edited:
It might already be a cast. Information and facts are scarce. Clearly not a suitable home if it is a decent prime swarm, so may need rehoming already!

Swarm is an opportunity to make them draw foundations with sugar. Give 30% syrup.

Swarm is an opportunity to make them draw foundations with sugar. Give 30% syrup.

As said on post#2 . Wait at least three days before feeding. They should have stomachs full of honey, let them use that to provide them with the energy to build comb first. :)

Thanks for replies, have followed advice and moved swarm to larger put together hive, one cobbled together with bits & pieces.... result is a 11 frame of foundation in a normal brood box which has an empty space equivalent to a super underneath with a cut out entrance, plywood floor and roof. Hope it works!

Latest posts

Back