Supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbc

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I've nearly finished one of my winter projects putting together over a hundred new supers and filling them with frames.
I sourced the boxes from three different places, some from maisies, some from big t's and some from manlake. Prices were comparable, though ml's marginally cheapest and maisies marginally most expensive, but less than one pound fifty a box difference between them.
They were all three good servicable boxes, but for what it's worth I thought I'd let you know my thoughts on quality. For me, the Maisie's boxes stood out as the best, followed by t's and ml's third. Sorry if I've missed anybody, just send me samples for an impartial review ( foc and large samples if you'd like to sway the impartiality :) )
That's all.

Think I'd agree with your appraisal MBC - I'd put maisies slightly better in quality and ease of putting together - noticed that this year's convention prices, Maisie's are 50p cheaper than Big T's on both broods and supers - to be honest never bothered even considering manlake :D

I'm half and half on the bevels Maisie's put in the boxes to save on using runners. They're good for the supers - it means that you can put the castellations against them for spacing but as the frames still rest on the wood they are more solid.I still prefer to put metal runners in the broods, but it's only a case of a quick sweep with a plane or a run through the table saw and it's sorted

I am thinking about going over to all Polly supers ( National)

Last bulk purchase was Caddon WRC... although by the Chinese stamps on them looks as if they were from somewhere in Asia.. no FSC stamp?

But like Masies have a bevelled edge and no metal runner to get corroded in the caustic!

Too many choices!

Nos da

Latest posts

Back