Supers and holiday...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psafloyd

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Probably about 5/6 at the moment
I have a question.

I have three colonies, one really strong and a bit nasty with four (probably full, now) supers on it, one with two which is a swarm that was building nicely and a third which has one but is a bit dodgy (the one I thought was DLQ/laying worker for those who have read about them).

The latter had very little stores, and this may have been robbed, but it is still going on, so I'm bearing with it as I am a novice and they know better than I.

I am going on holiday for a little over a fortnight after Wednesday, with noone to come and check my bees.

I haven't inspected in a fortnight due to filthy weather and illness, but I have done inspections at the entrance and all looks as it should, ie, activity, pollen, guards, etc.

It is highly unlikely I will be able to extract (it's my first time, so am allowing three times what I've been advised for doing a couple of supers) before I leave.

So, I wondered if there was anyway of future proofing during my absence. Let me explain.

If I discover my strong colony has filled the fourth super (it went on three weeks ago with foundation, so quite possible), I will place another on. But is it possible to add MORE THAN one at a time?

Now, this is all foundation, as I don't have the comb available, but if there is a flow on or one really starts while I am away, one super may not be enough.

So, is it possible? I'm sure it's inadvisable, but has anyone done it successfully?

I have a couple of new supers I made up last week, but couldn't inspect and deploy, so could use them.

If necessary, I could always add a second hand super I have once it has been scraped and scorched for a third on my swarm colony. I just need to make some more frames up.

Or, should I just not go to bed one night and extract a couple of supers and put them back on the hives the next day?

Your thoughts, as ever, most gratefully received.

Or, should I just not go to bed one night and extract a couple of supers and put them back on the hives the next day?

If you haven't inspected in a long time, this route would be the best safeguard you can do. Have a good look through all your hive and see whats going on in each, bees are still swarming so add supers you need to give the bees room and don't make problems for you neighbours. 3 weeks is a long time to leave hives without having a back up, I'm away soon for 2 weeks but before I go I will on the last day have a look in all my hives and add supers as I think they will need. I would not want to go away worrying about my hives and bees.
regards
Steven

All good points, BeeNice. I will of course be inspecing on my last day as usual, but am really not sure it is going to happen.

Not sure I will go right through the main colony as their temper gets really bad after a very short period and they are great at pulling all their mates in. I'll get the supers off, see what is going on in the brood box, but they really hate it being exposed for any length of time. As a result, I have seen how much I can do after studying what has been coming and going for a while and then I will go into the box.

If they're not having it, I'll put the supers back on and then go back into the supers after a while to see just how bad they are (they managed to start building comb between the combs a little while ago.

Hi, get well wrapped-up, long sleeved t-shirt under bee suite, wellies and good gloves, I've had bees like that and got stressed with the thought of doing an inspection but you have to do it and after a while the angry bees don't seem to matter as you concentrate on the job in hand. You will have to look at requeening in the future with a better queen.
Steven

Hi, get well wrapped-up, long sleeved t-shirt under bee suite, wellies and good gloves, I've had bees like that and got stressed with the thought of doing an inspection but you have to do it and after a while the angry bees don't seem to matter as you concentrate on the job in hand. You will have to look at requeening in the future with a better queen.
Steven

Had a quick look this evening. The swarm's half of brood and a half is chock full of honey and brood, but hasn't drawn any of the foundation above the QE.

The second colony was in a foul mood. Up at me straight away and they are never like that. Clearly there is a flow on, as the smell of nectar is very strong, somthey would be protective.

But I then realised that despite the sun, light breeze and warmth, there were some very dark clouds on the horizon and the atmosphere had changed considerably. By the time I'd closed the second colony up, there was a brown tinge to the air. A bloody thunderstorm, though it never came in the end.

Your point abut just getting in there is well made, but I could do with some support and a better trained eye I suppose. Still, I'm not going to persevere when they don't want me in.

Back in tomorrow morning some time and hopefully it will be more clement.

That said, it's now started lashing down, so maybe things will be better in the morning.

JUst put as many supers on as you need. You can put newspaper between them if you are worried about them warming up an oversized hive

JUst put as many supers on as you need. You can put newspaper between them if you are worried about them warming up an oversized hive

Will they remove the paper to get into the space or is that just a holding pattern for me to have them there?

I add supers for two reasons. Either the girls need more space for stores or more space to sit, or both.

I tend not to leave capped supers on a hive for very long. I rather spin the honey into storage and return the drawn super above the QE to allow them the opportunity to clean it up and to start filling it again.

My recommendation would be to spin a couple of your supers out and return them to the colony just above the QE. Then whilst you are on holiday they can be filling (rather than drawing) frames. I would have thought 2 supers would be enough. I would do them all but you may leave one as backup against poor weather.

All the best,
Sam

Latest posts

Back