Super cleaning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin921

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

Once honey has been extracted from a super how long should it be left in place on the hive for the bees to clean it up so that it can be stored dry?

Thanks.

Martin.

Hi all,

Once honey has been extracted from a super how long should it be left in place on the hive for the bees to clean it up so that it can be stored dry?

Thanks.

Martin.

Martin,
I am no expert but previously I have placed the supers one at a time above a crown board but leaving a small gap in the feed hole, covering with a tile or slate. The bees think of the super as being outside of the nest, rob it and take the residue down. This normally takes about two or three days at most.
Andy

Martin

With no honey flow, they'll clean them within 3 days max.

A quick test if the frames are clean is by removing the super and putting it uncovered near the hive - if there's honey left it'll soon be covered with bees.

Why don't you store wet. Protects against wax moth and the bees will be straight up into the super next season

Being new to beekeeping I had sort of formed the impression that storing the super wet would encourage unwanted guests?

Latest posts

Back