Super cement

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loubylou

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have so many super frames partially filled with the dreaded OSR honey that I would like to re-use as wet frames this year. This has been a gradual build up over the last few years. Too hard too give back to the bees.....I tried that one and too hard to extract. Is there anyway of removing the cement but saving the wax comb. Not fussed about saving the cement just need the wet frames.

I have so many super frames partially filled with the dreaded OSR honey that I would like to re-use as wet frames this year. This has been a gradual build up over the last few years. Too hard too give back to the bees.....I tried that one and too hard to extract. Is there anyway of removing the cement but saving the wax comb. Not fussed about saving the cement just need the wet frames.

I've never had this problem myself, but have heard people on here talking about skimming off the cappings and then spraying/misting with warm water - then giving the frames back to the girls to recycle the honey. Presumably it then gets mixed with non-OSR honey and doesn't 'concrete' quite so badly. Haven't heard anyone yet saying that this doesn't work ...

I suppose if you don't want to keep that honey, you could immerse the de-capped frames in a tank of tepid water, until the honey leaches out slowly - seems a waste though.
LJ

Last edited:
I've never had this problem myself, but have heard people on here talking about skimming off the cappings and then spraying/misting with warm water - then giving the frames back to the girls to recycle the honey. Presumably it then gets mixed with non-OSR honey and doesn't 'concrete' quite so badly.
Haven't heard anyone yet saying that this doesn't work ...

I suppose if you don't want to keep that honey, you could immerse the frames in a tank of tepid water, until the honey leaches out slowly - seems a waste though.
LJ

GIRLS?

What I have seen done is to leave the frames that are set hard with crystalised OSR nectar/honey out in the weather for a bit and then scrape off the cappings with one of those evil tined uncapping forks... and let the bees clean the frames out. I suppose you could run a hot hair drier over them and soak in warmish water... then put them out for bees...
Never leave frames out in my own apiaries but it seems others are not so fussy!

Few frames of OSR we get go into the Apimelter

Myttin da

A)
I have given many time advices in this forum, how to get frames cleaned.

The most effective way.....

Crystallized honey is valuable. 2 capped langstroth frames have 5 kg honey. (=£ 40)

- Scrab the cappings off
- spray warm eater on honey

Bees can clean only 3 mm honey from cells. Take the frames off and spray again water onto the cells and crystalls. Let the frames dilute 24 hours and put them back into the hive.

If you put the frames into the hive without diluting, bees draw the crystalls off and carry the valuable honey out like any rubbis.
Do not put at one time more than 2 frames.

Last edited:
B) If you have artificial swarm, which fills one brood box, give to if 3 crystallized frames and the rest foundations. Bees clean the frames for laying in few days and use the honey in comb drawing.

D)

Scrab the frame and dilute it with water. Situate it then between brood frames.

GIRLS?

What I have seen done is to leave the frames that are set hard with crystalised OSR nectar/honey out in the weather for a bit and then scrape off

That way the robbing bees will destroy the combs.

In the heat of the hive the bees clean best the combs.

Huge loss of energy this way +/- zero.

If you do as Finman says you will find the honey does not crystallise as much on the second digestion by the bees and is generally extractable, however I would not leave frames exposed for any bees to strip them , bad practise, put them in a super on a hive.
E

When bees clean the crystallized combs, they use lots of energy in prpcessing. Perhaps you get back 50% out of the honey store when it is moved to the super and capped.

If they only use as a food and to feed larvae, logistic is not so expencive than moving stores to another Place.

You may do the job during rainy weathers. If it is a flow at same time, bees recap the honey during the night.

Think how to do it.

GIRLS?

What I have seen done is to leave the frames that are set hard with crystalised OSR nectar/honey out in the weather for a bit and then scrape off the cappings with one of those evil tined uncapping forks... and let the bees clean the frames out. I suppose you could run a hot hair drier over them and soak in warmish water... then put them out for bees...

Few frames of OSR we get go into the Apimelter

Ultimately it's the quality of advice that counts - rather than nit-picking over word useage ...
LJ

I suppose if you don't want to keep that honey, you could immerse the de-capped frames in a tank of tepid water, until the honey leaches out slowly - seems a waste though.
LJ

You could use that water as the starter for mead, to find some use, but my experience was that it was a slow old process!

I would do as you say, wet, and give back to the bees. Personally I'd put above the crown board in the hope they'd then move.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultimately it's the quality of advice that counts - rather than nit-picking over word useage ...
LJ

Did I not state:

I think there is only one nit picker here.

Kick the ball not the player.

Nos da

Did I not state:
I'm still trying to comprehend if you leave your frames out in someone else's apiary or others leave their frames out in yours.
Is this an old Cornish beekeeping ritual or rite of passage....??
If not it should be :D

Last edited:
I'm still trying to comprehend if you leave your frames out in someone else's apiary or others leave their frames out in yours.
Is this an old Cornish beekeeping ritual or rite of passage....??
If not it should be :D

Not Cornish although the local pub run out of beer last night and we ended up locked in with bottled Liffey water... and that may have had some kind of literary affect!

Now strange to say but there is one beekeeper in Devon who leaves his frames out for the bees to lick clean and he will be celebrating on the 17th... if he can find a pub with an old bicycle left outside... usually welded to the railings ... to be sure!

Do not know of any Cornish Honey Rituals... but deeper in the West of the county, who knows what they get up to?

Yeghes da

Back