Super brood ??????????

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
Checked the grists just now as they was really bringing home the goodies and the ambient temp is 16 degrees around the garden hives.

Supers were on for the winter store, girls have had most of it and seem to be laying in more........................ and Queenie has been up there laying like a Black Rock at Easter!!!

NZ queen was in the brood box and busy, so fitted a QE on top of the broodbox and set the super on top.

Carniolian was in the super layin away! so I let her bee as the Carnies get a bit fractious... particularly if I start yodelling !!!
Both garden hive colonies had normal brood patterns in the brood boxes, eggs, larvae and capped brood, and stores... ( and drones!) all seen

There is probably a stickie on this, but why not give them the extra space of a super to procreate in?bee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie

Hi Icanhopit,
you look to be in a similar position to me - I added a BB on top last week and took a lot of flack from the forum. At the moment I have bees throughout top and bottom BB and busy as anything through this superb weather. I know I can get caught out if it turns cold but have fed them to try and get my foundation drawn - had none to start with and only full brood box through winter (no super) so was keen to get them going. The feed is going like crazy - 2L in 2 days and put another 4L on yesterday but have not checked today to see if they are taking it down - but I'm sure by tomorrow it will be gone. Maybe I am not doing it by the book and I will regret this action but as far as I can see I had a colony that was overcrowded and I needed to do something to alleviate the problem. Could be it's a Devon thing:seeya:
regards
P.

Ah Pete... glad you realise you are in the soft south.

Compared to us further north you can get away with a lot more...

Not knocking you, just reminding the jealous others, (including I) that there are massive geographical differences in the UK.

PH

Hi Ph thanks for the encouragement. I can't believe it's not the start of summer after today - even cut my grass for the first time since 22nd. Nov. last year. Maybe that is the difference in climate!! (and I had my shirt off!!!)
regards

Pete.

Hi Ph thanks for the encouragement. I can't believe it's not the start of summer after today - even cut my grass for the first time since 22nd. Nov. last year. Maybe that is the difference in climate!! (and I had my shirt off!!!)
regards

Pete.

You can remember the day you cut your grass? I'm hard put to remember the wife's birthday!:)

The evenings are cool here on the banks of the Tamar................................................. I better go look out the Miller / Millar feeders!

Latest posts

Back